Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brown slime destroying polyps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brown slime destroying polyps
    Posted: January 22 2015 at 8:07pm
I have a brownish slime that covers my polyps and melts them away. it gets on the heads and tears up the skin. whats happening? it seems to be spreading from my grandis paly colony to my mohawk paly colony and closes the heads amd covers them..
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 9:13am
It sounds like the corals are producing the slime since you didn't mention that the slime is elsewhere in your tank.  They can do that.  Someone will probably post about trying to dip them and what to use to dip them.  Be very careful when handing them.  Wear gloves.  That slime can be very poisonous to humans.
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 9:32am
interesting, if theres a dip then perfect! yah its like melting the inside of the polyp... and its not cyano... theres none in the rest of the tank.. just on the polyps :( ive been using a toothbrush to brush the slime off but it comes back...
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 9:34am

Originally posted by pilotx44 pilotx44 wrote:

interesting, if theres a dip then perfect! yah its like melting the inside of the polyp... and its not cyano... theres none in the rest of the tank.. just on the polyps :( ive been using a toothbrush to brush the slime off but it comes back...

I'm not an expert about what kind of dips to us for sick corals.  Send a message to Reefedup (not sure I got her name right) - she is the expert.

proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 9:37am
my girlfriend uses Revive.  it seems to work well for her.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 9:38am
What are the water parameters? Pictures would also help.

Hydrogen peroxide can be used as a dip to clear algae.
Coral RX/Bayers can be used as a dip to kill pests.

We have to figure out what is causing the issue first before dipping. "Melting" or rotting corals is usually a water parameter issue.

Hope we can save these guys!
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 10:06am
That is a bacteria that can sometimes be eliminated by dipping the affected coral in Iodine. Increasing the Iodine in the tank water may also hinder the spread.
A more recent development for that kind of issue is to add a bottled bacteria product like Dr. Tim's Waste Away to compete with and stop that slime. I recently used Waste Away to eliminate a crazy white slime that grew so out of control that it totally clogged the powerhead intake filter sponges in my Dentists tank. It only took 3 doses. I have a large bottle. I'd be happy to share.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic