Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starfish question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
goin2disneyland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goin2disneyland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starfish question.
    Posted: January 26 2015 at 6:30pm
How many starfish are too many? My cute little brittle (?) stars have been busy. I moved some rock work around today and the starfish emerged from their homes. I have hundreds, if not thousands. They are all getting larger, now dime to penny sized. I just don't want to start a starfish war if I have too many.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 7:17pm
What color are they?
65g Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goin2disneyland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 8:00pm
They are black with gold stripes on their arms.
eagleawd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagleawd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 8:44pm
I would love to have some of those, if you are not too far. Im in south Jordan.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 9:00pm
I love micro brittle stars. I have never personally had any issues with them. I just enjoy watching their arms sway in the tank.

If there are lots of starfish, there is lots of food for them. They are scavengers and filter feeders to an extent. So they will compete with other scavengers. In my experience having them helps compete with bristleworms. I like the starfish far better the our spiny friends.

A population explosion can be a sign of excess feeding, or excess waste in the reef. Can you have too many? Ehhh, I've seen tanks with thousands of them flourish for years and years. I personally really like micro brittles.

If you are ever up north I would love some to seed my tank :)

Edited by Pete Moss - January 26 2015 at 9:02pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 9:22pm
I agree with Pete and I'm sure lots of people would take some off your hands if you wanted to thin out your population, I've had these guys end up in pumps, reactors, skimmer, but they have never harmed anything.
65g Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goin2disneyland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 9:53pm
Thanks. I love watching the arms sway in the current, but I didn't want to starve them. Next time I do a big water change I will try and capture some for you guys!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 12:19pm
Or do what I do with the small white brittle stars that populate MarksReef Coral Farm. Use LR rubble that has plenty of holes, let them sit somewhere in the system for a month and give the rocks away. Utah Rock is perfect because it has tons of small holes. I give away Utah Rock rubble, the same stuff that all frags are mounted on. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic