Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stand build for CadLights 50 cube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skulldozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skulldozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stand build for CadLights 50 cube
    Posted: February 09 2015 at 9:56pm
I've had a CadLights 50 cube for a almost 2 years now. I tore it down about a year ago after a battle with a little known 2ft Eunicid worm! When i decided to start the tank back up, I knew that I wanted a bigger cabinet. Those 24" cabinets just don't have enough room.

Here's the main frame. The bottom is built with 2x6's because I wanted a tub in the cabinet to prevent leaks onto the floor. It's overkill for a 50 gallon, but i wanted to have something extra sturdy and large enough in case I upgrade to a bigger cube one day.

Floor going in.

I lined the tub with linoleum and sealed the seams with silicone. I decided to wrap the cabinet with 1/4" Alder faced MDF from National Wood Supply.

Top going on. At this point with my limited power tools and know how, I made the top about the only way i knew how. Face it with Alder and cover the seams with trim. I would have loved to make a solid wood top. But, without a biscuit router, clamps and a plane. There was no way it was going to happen.

Alder top on and trim going on. Wood patch on finish nails.

Stain going on! I used Rust-Oleum Kona. I wanted a darker stain, but not too dark to take away from the grain of the Alder.

This a pic shortly after the tank move. There's so much room for activities! At this point i was still waiting for the doors. I had them made at Alpine in Draper, totally worth it. Again because I lacked the tools to build doors it was the best way to go.

Here is about 2 weeks later when i was finally able to get the doors stained and mounted.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I ended up spending about $400 on the total build and about 3 weekends of labor. Final measurements of the stand 38"w x 31"d x 33"h.

Any questions or suggestions are welcomed! Thanks for looking, Joe.

50 gallon Artisan II cube
Skulldozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skulldozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 9:58pm
All the images are sideways. Sorry for the kinked necks!
50 gallon Artisan II cube
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 9:47pm
Nice job!
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic