Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got another one for ya

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dougandtito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got another one for ya
    Posted: February 13 2015 at 6:35pm
OK, another something new has sprung up, this time on the rock left behind by a coral frag that didn't survive. Any ideas what this one is?

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 7:02pm
Looks like cyano on some decaying tissue. What does it do if you blow on it with a pipette?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 6:47am
I agree with ReefdUp. What was the coral that didn't survive? That fleshy stuff could be the last of it. Sorry. 
Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 8:56am
My fiancé says he's seen something like a mouth opening on it, and that he recoils and reacts when he moves near the tank, as if it were one organism, not a colony of bacteria...
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 9:10am
If what it is on is the skeleton of the dead coral it may or may not be responsible for the death but was likely hiding beneath the coral when you purchased. If it were me I would remove the whole thing from the tank. Leaving it in a new tank is giving it opportunities i just personally wouldn't want to give it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 9:21am
Here is a picture of one of the openings. There is an opening on the other side that is even more apparent, and I just saw both openings retract and reopen:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 9:33am
We're pretty sure it didn't kill the coral--we have a Mexican rainbow wrasse that picked at it and killed several frags--but it does seem possible it came as a hijacker hiding underneath the coral. What's the potential risk? My fiance is hesitant to remove it because he thinks it could be something cool and he says it just seems like a filter feeder, harmlessly doing it's thing. What should we watch out for as a sign that it's doing more harm than that? What kinds of "opportunities" would you be worried about?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 9:37am
Did it grow...or did it randomly appear one day?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 9:37am
It grew.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 9:38am
It used to be flat for a while, and then it started taking shape, and it's becoming rounder and rounder, with the two little openings on each end looking like Mickey Mouse ears.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 9:52am
Probably a tunicate then.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 9:57am
I really need to not be the go-between between you guys and my fiance, who spends many hours a day staring at this tank and knows its intricacies much better than I do. He just told me--and then showed me--that our little red mystery also has a little yellow "tongue" (his word for it) that occasionally pokes out of one of the openings.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 11:10am
Originally posted by dougandtito dougandtito wrote:

We're pretty sure it didn't kill the coral--we have a Mexican rainbow wrasse that picked at it and killed several frags--but it does seem possible it came as a hijacker hiding underneath the coral. What's the potential risk? My fiance is hesitant to remove it because he thinks it could be something cool and he says it just seems like a filter feeder, harmlessly doing it's thing. What should we watch out for as a sign that it's doing more harm than that? What kinds of "opportunities" would you be worried about?

The things i would be concerned about is something harmful to my tank reproducing. If a knowledgeable reefer cannot quickly say its not harmful i would remove it but that is just me. What is your plan with the coral killing fish? So sorry that happened to you.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 12:53pm
It's not harmful.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic