Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone with Drilling Experience?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone with Drilling Experience?
    Posted: February 19 2015 at 8:24pm
While I search for the "perfect tank", I'm going to setup a 20 gallon in my office to get my dry Utah Rock ready and hopefully start growing some corals.

I'm thinking of setting up a sump because I have one. Does anyone have advice, suggestions, other threads I can checkout about drilling a hole in the side of my tank?

I have found some glass drill bits on line. What is the best size of hole to drill?

Thanks for any help you may have!
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
eagleawd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagleawd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 8:35pm
Drilling glass is easy as long as you do it slow, you can check glass-holes .com to get an idea of the drill bit sizes you will need for the bulkhead size you decide to use. I hope this info is helpful.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 10:20am
My $0.02.

Have Aquatic Dreams or another LFS drill it for you.   Especially if you're only drilling a single hole.  It will likely be less expensive than purchasing the bit to DIY.  And, they do it all the time, so they're less likely to destroy your tank.

Good luck.
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 10:28am
Brs has videos on there site about selling holes
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 10:37am
I've drilled somewhere around 100 tanks. I'm more than willing to drill a hole for you if you'd like, but I can't insure the tank. If it cracks for whatever reason I wouldn't be willing to replace it.

I've never cracked a tank myself, and I've drilled as small as a 2 gallon aquarium. Willing to drill for free if you need it, just know the risks.

Edited by Pete Moss - February 20 2015 at 11:03am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

I've drilled somewhere around 100 tanks. I'm more than willing to drill a hole for you if you'd like, but I can't insure the tank. If it cracks for whatever reason I wouldn't be willing to replace it.

I've never cracked a tank myself, and I've drilled as small as a 2 gallon aquarium. Willing to drill for free if you need it, just know the risks.

Pete,

Thanks for the offer Considering you know what you're doing and you're close, I will be taking you up on your offer

I'm struggling with whether I want to go with a 20 gal (which I have) or a 29 (just posted looking for one). Either way, once I figure out what I'm doing, I'll send you a PM.

Thanks in advance.
-Tim
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 11:18am
No problem happy to help!

I recommend a 29! Because I have a rocking stand and a canopy for a standard 29 that you could have for super cheap :)
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic