Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not sure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
christopninja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christopninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not sure
    Posted: March 01 2015 at 1:38am
so I just moved into a new place and want to set up a tank again. I have a 75 and everything needed to run it but conceded that this home can't handle the weight. I moved into a trailer/manufactured home and not sure if it can support it. Otis on a foundation but they are cinder blocks. Let me know what you think
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 11:07am
It will hold it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christopninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 1:34pm
Idk know man it's kinda old and I'm concerned because I'm renting and I don't want to ruin this place lol
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 1:55pm
Call the manufacturer of the home and ask about the load bearing of the floor. My 2 cents
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 2:25pm
Water is about 8 lbs per gallon. Multiply that by 75g. Add a couple hundred lbs for a stand, sump, rock, equipment, etc. Add a factor of safety in, and you're looking at about 2 lbs per square inch. You can play with the numbers to suit your exact setup.

Make sure to distribute the load...don't use the stand's legs directly on the manufactured floor. I'd use a pice of solid wood under the stand to help distribute the load across the floor joists. Make sure to take that weight into consideration too.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 2:35pm
That's the technical method and I recommend it.

Here's the "seat of the pants method. Wink
If an adult can jump up and down in one spot without punching through the floor, it will hold a medium sized aquarium. 

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christopninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 9:58pm
Thanks mark. That info is helpful. The stand that I have is a solid base does not have separate legs would it be fine or do you still recommend the board
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 7:52am
The solid base will do the same job as the board that ReefdUp wisely recommended be used if and in case the aquarium stand had only four legs touching the floor.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 9:59am
Or you could put down a larger base to help distribute the load across more area and joists.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christopninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 12:29pm
Tanks guys for the info. But I found a great deal on a 28 gal Nano. I think it's ganna be better for me to manage and no worry about the weight. Any advice on how to set it up would be helpful
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 12:55pm
get 4 friends shoulder to shoulder and then jump up an down.  That should. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic