Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

digitate hydroids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: digitate hydroids
    Posted: March 12 2015 at 12:10pm
The pest that even the internet has not helped me understandDead.  I have gotten a plethora of advice in person and through searching other forums.
 A search here came up blank so I figured I would start a post. 
If possible I would like to keep this focused on DIGITATE HYDROID, because there are billions of types of hydroids that all are dealt with differently.

One HUGE favor; if you reply, please start your reply by stating what type of information you have: Personal Success, Personal Failure, Opinion, Internet Info, Knew a Guy Who Knew a Guy Who Had a Friend who had DH, or Need Help, etc.

Thanks in advance. 

What I have heard:
They are related to jellyfish
they are a coral
no fish eat themCry
any fish that will eat them will eat your coralCry
they are impossible to keep alive, leave them alone and they will dieBig smile
they are impossible to kill, they have been in my tank for 5 years and survived the apocalypseCry
they sting coral and humansCry
they don't bother coral or humansBig smile
kalsewater paste might kill them
take all of your LR out and use a flamethrowerAngry
soak LR in RO water for a year, then dry it out for a year, then pressure wash itDead
ignore them they will go awayBig smile
use reef glue to cover themOuch 
I bought a X fish to eat them and I'm not sure if it does but I have less of them now.Confused
they reproduce from a single cellCry
use a toothbrush to get them off of your leathers

I AM SO CONFUSED!

LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 2:09pm
How about some pics so everyone chimes in on the right subject. Also so those that don't have them will know what to watch for.
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 3:44pm
I think you better just go straight to Nikki on this one....
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 3:52pm
The flamethrower was my personal favorite technique for taking care of these guys.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 7:26pm
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 8:30pm
Everything is related if you go back far enough.

Corals are in phylum Cnidaria. So are jellyfish and hydroids. Class Hydrozoa contains hydroids and some corals. Class Scyphozoa contains jellyfish. Class Anthozoa contains some corals and anemones. So, all the claims that hydroids are related to corals/jellyfish/anemones are true. They're stinging-celled organisms..."cnidarian" literally means "stinging creature" in Latin (technically it translates to "sea nettle"...but you get the idea).

Here's a photo of one in my tank, unexpanded. You can see all the stinging cells. I have a video of it somewhere...it's quite insanely hilarious to watch as it expands and contracts.

So, since they can sting, then they can bother sensitive creatures (namely seahorses). They usually coexist somewhat with corals, although they can irritate them. Theoretically they can sting humans too, but I imagine it would be unnoticeable except in highly sensitive people. They also use their stinging cells to collect food like a fishing reel.

As far as what eats them and what doesn't, well...probably what eats coral may eat them (but maybe not since they're so small). They'll also wax and wane with your nutrient level (they filter-feed). I used superglue or epoxy over the ones I had that were hidden in a rock.

Hope that helps.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 11:37pm
Um...glad to help?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 10:23am
He hasn't been online since posting this, or I'm sure he would have posted his appreciation.

I for one always appreciate detailed feedback. And that picture is bad-a.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 5:01pm
Ah...ok...thanks for checking. Just wanted to make sure the OP's questions were answered. Seemed pretty concerned!

Edited by ReefdUp - March 16 2015 at 6:20pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 5:12pm
Looks like he's having some more problems. He lives down this way in Orem and needs his water tested(not with the strips he has) so I have offered to test it here in the next few days. Maybe I can swing by his place and get some better pics of what he is dealing with...
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 6:20pm
Thanks for the info.
Update:
I mechanically removed about 20 of them, and a rock they were pretty heavy on.
There were a couple I could not get at though.
After coming home from a long weekend in the field with uncle Sam I am noticing a "blast pattern" on the glass where the water current hits it, this may be hundreds of these guys or something new.
Also as bstuver mentioned my water stats are off so I am trying to figure that one out too.
Add that to working 56 hours in a 3 day weekend and I am slightly fried.

For now I am watching and waiting, if they irritate a specific coral I will remove the offenders. Hopefully they balance out or die off.

Thanks again for all of the feedback.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 6:22pm
The ones you're seeing on the glass are probably Stauroclaudia. They're related...so they sting...but they are pretty much benign except in rare cases. They'll usually wax and wane as your tank matures.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

The ones you're seeing on the glass are probably Stauroclaudia. They're related...so they sting...but they are pretty much benign except in rare cases. They'll usually wax and wane as your tank matures.

Good to know.
If Iclean them off of the glass, putting them into the water column, will that be a bad thing? Or will it be ok to clean the glass?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 7:55pm
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty sure every single one of us has had them at some point, and they always disappear on their own.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 5:02pm
+1
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 11:16pm
Glass is clean, water changed.
Still more digitate than i am comfy with. But i am patiently waiting.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by CHAOS CHAOS wrote:

Glass is clean, water changed.
Still more digitate than i am comfy with. But i am patiently waiting.

As I said when I came by I am pretty sure I have seen the ones you have in almost every tank I've ever looked at. As Nikki said nothing to worry about:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
CMcTay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMcTay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 2:50pm
So, how about colonial hydroids? I was going to make a thread asking about them but maybe since we've already got an active hydroid thread going... I've got three 'colonies' on my LR, I was thinking about just chiseling off the chunk of rock they're connected to.

I couldn't find a whole lot of advice when googling around, one person said to put epoxy on them or some such... but I want them GONE, not just dead. Would they disintegrate at some point if i did that?
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 4:36pm
Thanks Jackie; that's why I'm not totally freaking out (anymore), but I still have not adopted them, started naming them and hoping that they live.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic