Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clown mix?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clown mix?
    Posted: March 21 2015 at 3:17am
So I have a black and white clown that lost its mate witch was a black onyx clown, I was thinking of getting a small snowflake clown or just plain orange and white just wondering if it will be ok? Thank for your help
90 gallon mixed reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 8:10am
Did you read this thread from just this week?
It discusses the most important aspect of clownfish pairing.

All the clownfish skin colors you mentioned above are simply the same species, Amphriprion Ocellaris. Unlike the human species, Clownfish do not seem to discriminate based on skin color.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 8:40am
Okay so I will disagree to agree to disagree. 

They will discriminate based on color.... blacks are typically meaner than others. 

Yes as Mark mentioned they are all morphs of Amphriprion Ocellaris. 

I have 24 clowns in my tank. .. . . I added one after adding all of them... the way. I used an acclimation box put him/her in it for a few days and then released the clown. 

Make sure you just get one smaller or larger than your current one and you should be fine. 

Another hint with Clowns is to feed them more  than normal the first few days to a week, that gets ride  of the aggression that they will have. 

J
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Jeremyw Jeremyw wrote:

Okay so I will disagree to agree to disagree. 

They will discriminate based on color.... blacks are typically meaner than others. 

J

Okay, I will agree to disagree too. My experience has been the opposite with a black and white paired with an orange and white. The orange one was definitely the aggressor with mine. YMMV.

Mike

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 9:40am
So both of us have experienced that clowns are mean to each other...... 

I have had some very mean and nasty orange ones I wanted to kill! 

J
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 4:11pm
Ha! I've had some orange clowns that wanted to kill ME!

faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 6:31pm
I had an orange male that would bite my hand any time I came near his "anemone", a big conch shell.  It usually didn't hurt on my fingertips or my palm, but once he got a hold of the tender skin between my fingers and bit down like a little pit bull.  It hurt and bled a little... but I couldn't stay mad.  He was protecting his MRS. and his home.
Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 10:40pm
Purchased an orange clown from birdworld today, they were instantly friends
90 gallon mixed reef
faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 11:57am
That's a good sign.  If one or both start to do the "shiver dance", they'll be on their way to pairing up soon.
Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic