Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stars
    Posted: July 20 2003 at 8:07pm

I'm just curious about the "stars" that are under our names.  Do the signify anything? 

I have a recommendation about them though.  I think that paying WMAS members should be two stars as opposed to one.  That way paying members can be differentiated from those who are not.

Just a thought.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 8:42pm

I agree.  I've looked into this, but I still don't really get it.  Usually the stars are controlled by WebWiz and they allow access to forum moderators.  So usually (with other sites) two stars would allow someone to have moderator status for 1 forum, 3 stars give access as a moderator for 2 forums, and so on.

I'll look into this more.

Thanks Sean

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 8:50pm

This seems like more of a question for Jake, but I know something about this.  Hopefully he can elaborate at a later date.  If you have noticed, Jake and Adam each have four stars under their name and the Administrator has five stars.  The number of stars depicts the amount of change you can make to the forum.  So Jake, what does two stars enable anyone to do rather than one?

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 8:53pm

I should also mention that I am considering "promoting" people (for lack of a better term)  to moderate certain forums.  It is difficult to always watch what is posted and make deletions or recommendations all the time.  We have a couple people that have looked promising to me on this forum.

Yes, I'm sure Jake can elaborate on this.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 10:37pm
Adam, maybe someone should be promoted to watching the forums for personal attacks like "people who pooh-pooh" when its just an opinion or a different way of doing things.
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 12:48pm
I'm sure the forums software could be edited to have the stars mean anything you want them too.  You could also change the "Standard Member" to "WMAS Member" or "Contributing Member" as well.
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 11:07am
I thing it would also be good to increase the PM limit too. 25 really isn't very many.
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 1:29pm
Quote: Originally posted by Marcus on 20 July 2003
Adam, maybe someone should be promoted to watching the forums for personal attacks like "people who pooh-pooh" when its just an opinion or a different way of doing things.

Too funny... You guys are going to eventually beat each other up aren't you?

If you do, can I attend?

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 5:49pm
Actually, Ryan, I PM'ed Mark yesterday and he called me right away.  We are going to get together and discuss some things.  Mark and I have known each other for a long time now and its stupid for a debate like this to have "ruined" a friendship.  Mark is a great person with a lot of knowledge and we should be working together and not turning this forum into "Days of Our Lives".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 6:53pm
Sorry Marcus, my comment was not intended to be harmful. I was just trying to "lighten" up the mood a bit.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 7:15pm

Okay Marcus, You name the place and I'll be there to kick your ___. It's time we took this discussion to a new level.

Seriously, it was about midnight and since I saw that Marcus had just posted, I knew he was awake so I called him. It really caught us both off guard that I would call right then, but it was fun.

I know that I am opinionated and that I enjoy going head to head with others opinions. It always teaches me something new. Something that benefits me and others, I hope.

I never intend to hurt others but since this forum has come up and some have told me how hard-headed I am, I trying to calm down. Unfortunately I've  met with limited success.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 8:40pm

I think that the reason that you (Mark) and I argue or debate or whatever you want to call it is because we are both very opinionated.  I, also, said that I was going to "calm down" on the posting but, as everyone can tell I have not calmed down.  I am very bad at holding my tongue when I should.  I usually post something, then read it and think, "sh*t, should I really have posted that."

I do appreciate Mark's call even though it was at midnight.  Mark, I'm home now if you want to stop by and see the tanks.  I'm just acclimating a wobbygong into my shark tank.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 9:22pm

Thanks Marcus, do you mind if I come now? Aren't your lights going off soon. It could take me 20 minutes to get there from Bountiful. are you still in Murray  45th S #B

I just noticed that after I post there is an edit and a delete button at the top of the post!

it's right after I post

and there it is again

and again...you're probably wishing I would delete this now

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 10:36pm

Thanks for the phone call Mark.  I wish I had seen your post earlier.

scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 10:57pm
? Whats wrong with the soaps. If I didn't work I would be on the couch all day watching them.
just my 3 cents shy of a nickel. Ryan 897-2000

1 125 gallon reef
1 120 gallon reef tank and stand custom built by MSM
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 11:11pm
Quote: Originally posted by Marcus on 22 July 2003

then read it and think, "sh*t, should I really have posted that."

I don't know how many times I've written out a reply only to delete the whole thing and move on...  Sometimes it's easy to do, other times it's not.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 7:25am
Quote: Originally posted by jfinch on 23 July 2003
I don't know how many times I've written out a reply only to delete the whole thing and move on...  Sometimes it's easy to do, other times it's not.

Been there quite a few times myself. My motto: If in doubt that I might peeve someone off, or maybe I'm not 100% sure of something "DELETE."
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 8:53pm

Jake -

Is this something you'll be able to do?

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2003 at 7:35am
Can Rob have 20 stars? Wait, he doesn't post anything, so I'd never know......(You could just say he does, and make my day!)
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2003 at 8:43am

We can do some modifications with the stars.  For now we will wait until we have upgraded to the new message board.  After the upgrade we can look into changing what the stars symbolize.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic