Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about sump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about sump
    Posted: April 13 2015 at 4:24pm
I did some research and wherever I looked I see three-chamber sumps, mine has four chambers. I am wondering what this extra one is doing. May be you experienced reefers can help me figure this out.

This is how I have it:
First chamber has the water flowing down from the main tank into the filter sock. This also has a bag of bio-pellets in a small bag. Protein skimmer is in the second chamber where I also have macro algae and some live rock. The third chamber is what I am not sure about at all. It is a very narrow chamber and holds a piece of filter sponge tightly, the sponge is about half high in the sump. I never touched this sponge mainly because I don't know what it is doing there. The macro algae from the prior chamber at one time grew over and has started growing a little bit on top of the sponge. Return pump is in the last chamber.

Questions: 
1. Am I supposed to clean/replace the bio-pellets? If so, how often?
2. Is it okay to have the macro algae in the same chamber as protein skimmer? If not, where is the ideal location for the algae?
3. Tell me anything you know about this chamber that has the sponge. Am I supposed to take it out and clean once in a while(it is very tight in there, I am not sure if I can pull it up)? Does anyone have this kind of setup?

Thank you for your time and advice.
Indu
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 4:35pm
Well you shouldn't have your macro algae and skimmer in the same section. ... so move 1 to the other compartment
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 4:38pm
The other compartment is really small, not big enough for skimmer. Macro algae in the first one is something I can consider.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 5:36pm
Others my have differing opinions but here is mine as if this were my sump. Get rid of that sponge ASAP as its probably super dirty and is serving no purpose other than to collect detritus and cause nitrate issues unless it is poly filter or something. If you regularly clean it its fine. Get your macro algae out of same chamber than the skimmer that's totally not where you want your macro. Bio-pellets, unless you really know what you are doing with them, do not use them or read up on them to know what they do, how they work, how to maintain, etc. 
65g Reef
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 5:56pm
Thanks Bryce. Sure, I can get rid of the sponge filter. But, I am still trying to understand why a chamber was built just for it. 

If I moved the macro algae from the chamber where the skimmer is, is it okay to put it in the first chamber where the filter sock is? If not, where should I put it? The second chamber is in fact the largest of all.
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 6:00pm
can you post a pic of the sump?
480 in wall in progress
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 6:15pm
Agree post pic of sump if you can, people sometimes use sponges to stop bubbles, where is your return pump? In the 4th chamber you said, can skimmer fit in 1st chamber or in 4th with return? Also do u mean bioballs or biopellets? If you can i would go drain in 1, with macro in 2, no sponge, then return and skimmer in 4th so long as your skimmer doesnt make a lot of bubbles, if it does i would put skimmer in 1st with drain, some will say you shouldnt do that as you want your macro before your skimmer but your skimmer isnt going to remove all the stuff u hope the macro removes and if it does even better.

Edited by Bryce - April 13 2015 at 6:33pm
65g Reef
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 7:05pm
It is very difficult to get a whole view, husband did his best to get these:

First and Second chambers (Second chamber had macro algae, I took that out already):

Second, third and fourth chambers (middle one in this picture had the sponge, I already removed it):

Full view (still can't see where the return pump is, it is in the rightmost chamber):

Bio-pellets and sponge:

Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 7:10pm
Those look like ceramic rings, toss them, the sponge again not needed, if u keep it clean very frequently but i personally would not use it. Put skimmer in 1st chamber or 4th if it wont blow bubbles into your display, macro in 2nd chamber.
65g Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic