Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

210 gal Living Window Build. First Timer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leetxen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leetxen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 210 gal Living Window Build. First Timer
    Posted: April 15 2015 at 10:53pm
I got a 210gal and a 75gal tank to create my dream Reef tank system.  My wife and I both love fish.  We had a 55 gal hex 5 years ago and sold it when we built our house.  In designing the house we made sure we had a space for the tank and a basement refuge area.  I have been working in sketchup rendering the idea I have for a stand.  

So the stand and tank is going to go up against the wall that is shared with my office.  I am going to cut a hole and frame it like a window to create a living window in the office that looks to the tank between the two down spouts in the 210.

In the living room I will have the aquarium on a normal stand that I will make with Cedar wood on the outside, and 2x4's for support.

I did a little investigation and it looks like this many 2x4's on each corner and a set in the middle will support the 2500 lbs of weight this will be.

All the refuge and pumps will be going downstairs one level.  I will cut 2-4 holes in the floor and run pvc pipes that supply the return pump and the down pipe.  I am thinking a 75gal refuge should be good.  but might get a second one and double up the water in the basement.  Also I am planning on installing a 300gal vertical tank to store R/O water.  It will dual purpose for emergency water storage and fish tank water.

Still need to clean them out but wanted to get a idea down for the stank.  I would appreciate any help or suggestions from the group.  I am a total beginner.

I got two weeks off of work and should get this done in side that time frame.  So it should be a fun thread to watch.  Look forward to meeting new people.

jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 5:51am
Can't wait! Thanks for posting.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 5:52am
So will this only be viewable from the office? Are you planning on being able to see in from 3 sides? I'm just wondering how you plan to work the overflows?
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 6:31am
The entire front panel will be in his living room, and he is framing the area out in his office so that area between the overflows is visible. Unless he decides to cut the plastic overflow off and plumb the tank differently... cough cough that would be sweet cough...
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 7:28am
What kind of live rock are you going to use? What kind of lighting  are yoi going to use? It is such a addictive boy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 9:48am
You may want to consider 2x6 for your top frame, or at least sandwiching 2 2x4s together... seems like alot of weight.
Leetxen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leetxen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 10:10am
1stupidpunk, I am just worried about drilling a tank of this cost.  I know it can happen, but if on the living window side I can just do a opening between the overflows that will be cool.  and then on the front room side it will be a 3 sided tank exposed.  just like anyone would have in there living room.  Weight should not be a issue.  and I will probaly overbuild the corners and put a 3rd in the mix.  Right now it is hard to tell by the pictures I took from the 3D program, but i have two 2x4's in each corner.

ctreeftank, I am hoping i can find some dry rock on the forum and load it in the cycling tank and seed it with live orginizams.  Lighting, I dont know.  When i was in this before it was T5's or nothing.  But now with LED's I am lost again.  I really don't want to spend $800 per for 3 fixtures to cover the whole tank.  I will need to ask for help from the rest of the community.
Leetxen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leetxen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 10:15am
So i took another look at the drawing, I am going to have one 2x4 full length tank to floor, and two 2x4's on the rim of the stand, one on the front, and one of the side.  This will be basically 3 2x4's supporting 1/4th of the weight of the tank.

Leetxen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leetxen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 9:46pm
Started on the stands finally today.  I got the front and back done.  looking to finish it tomorrow and get the cedar started.

Leetxen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leetxen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 9:47pm
I reinforced the design and doubled up the 2x4's and changed the back support to a 2x8 so i could fit pipes from the over flow.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 4:41am
Looks pretty tough man.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic