Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Sump Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Sump Design
    Posted: May 06 2015 at 11:57am
For years I've been wanting to get a larger/better sump on my 235. I've finally got the ok to build one which is going to be a huge project. I've been looking over a wide variety of designs over the past few days and came up with a basic mock up. 

To explain, i wanted to utilize as much of the tank footprint as possible however the stand does not permit me to slide a sump in through the side so I opted to build it in two pieces and put the pump in the center pulling from both sides. That way I won't have a fit problem because they can be placed under the tank individually then attached via pipe. One side will be a refugium and the other for equipment and each overflow box will drop into their respective sides. I am wondering if I need filter socks on the refugium side though (please let me know your thoughts on this too).

Like I said this is a basic drawing I wouldn't be surprised if I forgotten something but you guys be the judge.

Thanks in advance.
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 1:44pm
What is the point of the third plate in your bubble trap? Where does your ATO go in? There is not much of a reservoir for water where the pump picks up water for the return. Does that worry you at all?

It seams to me that your controller will have trouble keeping the temp correct with this setup because the water is only being heated on the skimmer side and then mixed with cooler water from the refugium. It might be better to have one heater on each side to even this out.

Other than that stuff I think it would work. The no reservoir (where the return pump would normally sit) is my biggest concern on the design. Hope that helps. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 1:52pm
I would also add a pipe between the two so that it equalizes the water levels or else you might have some problems with one overflowing while the other could run dry if persay a snail got caught in one of the return pipes.
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 3:34pm

Ok so I removed one of the baffles on each side, put in the ATO, Added a 3" pipe to keep both sides equalized, and put a heater on each side as well.

Krazi4Acans:
About the reservoir- when the water is shut off it will fill 4-5 inches above the reservoir. When the pump is turned on it should have pliantly of water to pull through an allow time for the water cycling back from the return to reach it (at least I believe so). At least that is the way it works on my current sump.

Do you really think it would be a problem?

225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 3:43pm
I'm not sure if it is going to be a problem or not. On my 40g tank I have a 5gallon reservoir where the pump sits and it will suck air sometimes on start up before the durso drain begins running fully. That is with a Mag12 pump. Your setup is much larger and probably a larger pump as well so I would think that you may see it drain the reservoir area on both sides, then have the drains kick in and go back and forth a few times before it stabilizes. I'm not saying it will for sure but that sure seams like a small amount of water to me.

The other issue with that area being so small is that your ato is going to be reacting to change constantly because the level change in that area is going to change very quickly with any evap. I do like the other changes that you made but I would give myself a bit more reservoir area if I can. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic