Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anenome w/ Skeleton?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ClownFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anenome w/ Skeleton?
    Posted: August 09 2005 at 5:24pm

Can anyone tell me what this is?  This is when it is closed, and the picture below this one  is of it expanded.

Edited by ClownFish
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 5:52pm
Wow kinda hard to tell from the pics. If it does in fact have some sort of skeleton, I would place my money on a small LPS coral (in fact the top pic kinda looks like something with sweeper tentacles...)

Edited by ssilcox
ClownFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 11:22am

I know the pics are kinda fuzzy the dig cam wouldnt focus right, but does anyone else have some insight?

/bump

Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 1:33pm
Looks exactly like a coral I have in my tank that came on the live rock. Don't know what it is called. They seem to be able to live though most anything (you think they are dead and then they come back to life). They are clear. Don't know what else to tell you.

There is a picture of it here just look up "Coral: Cup"
Cup Coral
ClownFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 1:38pm
That is exactly it!! thank you, and yes it was in a bucket for about 3-4 months on my live rock with very little light...im sure there were lil arthropods for it to eat but i decided to try to feed it some pepperoni for kicks when i first set my tank up, and it Ate it! then i started feeding it brine shrimp and such it seems to be growning and extends its tentacles out at night mostly, thanks Kevin.
ClownFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 1:42pm

You will most likely find this coral on your rocks if you look for them. The cup coral is a filter feeder coral with tenticles extended looking for filter food in the water. They eat phytoplankton and other microscopic bits of food and zooplankton

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 1:53pm
montastrea sp?  Are you using any atlantic rock?
ClownFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 2:08pm

I beleive it is this Jon

http://www.divebums.com/FishID/Pages/cupcoral.html 

Brown Cup Coral - Paracyathus stearnsii

I dont know where the Live rock is from I bought it from an individual locally.

Edited by ClownFish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic