Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not a huge emergency I think?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fishflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not a huge emergency I think?
    Posted: June 24 2015 at 1:32am
I just had a friend point out that my 150g tanks' plastic frame support has cracked - it isn't the actual center center brace, but the back of the tank where the center brace connects. is it safe to say it won't cause an issue, or is it safer to get a new tank just in case?
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 6:49am
There are ways to repair it (some work, some do not) the best insurance is to either replace the tank or replace the frame.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 2:02pm
I had this exact issue on my last tank.  I left it.  About 6 months later the center brace completely snapped off on the back side leaving my front and back panes bowing out severely.  I'd replace it before it becomes an emergency.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 2:11pm
You'll want to fix it pronto.  I welded up a steel brace for my 120, then covered it entirely in plasti-coat. 

I'm surprised you can't see the bowing of the glass already.   I used a pipe clamp temporarily until the steel brace was finished.

Good luck.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 2:36pm
That is where my 55g snapped.  Mine was bowing, we took it down that day.  Just wasn't worth the risk.  I know others who were able to brace it to allow for more time in getting a tank and setting up the move. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic