Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

everything gone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
myk311 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myk311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: everything gone
    Posted: July 21 2015 at 4:52pm
I just returned from a week and a half long vacation to find every coral in my 150 tank dead a lot of nice pieces I picked up from many of you here grown from frags to good sizes. Almost looks like they were bleached. I will have to wait untill this evening to see if the lights shut down properly. (1 radion and two rapid led 36 with storm controller).Tested water and everything is in check. I had my bro dose each day while I was gone. I did do flatworm exit twice within a two week period before leaving but sucked out as many flatworms as I could for a week prior before adding the exit. Any ideas anyone?
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 5:02pm
That sucks. If you need help with anything i'm close by.  I cant store much in my 14 gallon but i can hold stuff for you if you need.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 5:28pm
My money is on the Flatworm Exit because it causes problems when used per directions),
 and your brother, well not your brother exactly.
When leaving for more than 5 days I always have one of my good friends and fellow coral experts watch my tank. I do the same for them. We can go away on vacation knowing that anything, I mean anything, that comes up will be handled properly. An ordinary non-hobbyist can literally do nothing, even as the coral start to show signs of stress the inexperienced will still add chemicals and feed the tank -- oblivious to the issue going on in front of their eyes. 

Also, we that have been at this a long time are always advising not to do anything to the tank just before leaving for vacation, just prior to the Reef Tour, etc.

Sorry for your loss.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 5:30pm
That is tough, sorry to hear this. Willing to frag some stuff for you just let me know when you get things figured out Mike.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 5:37pm
That is very sad. 
myk311 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myk311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 5:38pm
Thanks for the help everyone. So mark what would you suggest to get things back on track? The water parameters are all in check.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 5:41pm
Bleached is much different than dead. If it's bleached there it still a very good chance that you can bring them back. Dead is just dead. Is there any polyp extension from the corals? Can you still see tissue on the skeletons? Are there lps corals that still puff up? Good chance you may be able to bring it back if you answered yes to any of those questions.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
myk311 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myk311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 6:07pm
All the lps candies, frog, torch and hammers are dead along with the blastos. My monti plates are all white so I am assuming dead. Favias, brain corals and chalices are all skeletons except for one which has a little tissue. Zoas and palys are closed up so they may come back. Cyphastrea and goniopora are pretty white but still look like the polyps might have some life. But untill I figure out the cause I think everything will continue to get worse.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 6:28pm
Oh, and he asked me on Sunday if them shrinking some was a bad sign. I told him not to worry about it.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 6:38pm
Honestly sounds like an alk spike to me. Do you have any way to measure how much dosing liquid was used while you were gone to know if the right amount was used? Did he miss a day and try to catch it up the next day with a double dose? It would take something pretty drastic to cause an almost complete die off in that amount of time. Did you put new carbon in before you left?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 7:04pm
Ohh no. I talked to your brother before I saw this post. So sad!

I was going to ask about carbon as well.

Whenever you're ready I have more stuff for you.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 10:26pm
Well, we did about a 40% water change, everything Mike, Nikki and I had. Mike started a carbon reactor and set the skimmer to run wetter. Not much else to do tonight. I think Mike is going to do another water change tomorrow. Not everything is gone, but what isn't dead is pretty sick.

Thanks to Nikki for coming to the rescue again with water when we needed it.

Time to rebuild.

Fat
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 10:27pm
I know what it's like to lose so much you've worked and cared for to get to grow. Let me know when and I've got frags for you.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 4:55am
Sorry I couldn't do more. If there is anything I can do...let me know.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

I know what it's like to lose so much you've worked and cared for to get to grow. Let me know when and I've got frags for you.
+1 
Been there many times. Cry

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
myk311 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myk311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 7:38am
I appreciate all the support from everyone offering there services. Especially to kevin and nikki who were willing to help me out last night with a big water change and carbon. And for all the frag offers it has definately helped soften the blow. A big thanks to everyone.
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 12:05pm
I had the same thing happen to me. But mine was do to an algae problem that was caused buy a stray electricity
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic