Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goby and pistol shrimp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goby and pistol shrimp
    Posted: August 16 2015 at 2:41pm
I have, or had, a paired yellow rose goby and candy striped pistol shrimp in my tank for 2 months.  They made a burrow towards the front of the tank and I was so happy that I could see them come out for feedings.  Otherwise, they pretty much always stayed hidden, although the goby would come out occasionally on its own.  Now I haven't seen either one for several weeks.  I am hoping they aren't dead, but of course I realized that's the most likely scenario.  I was wondering if there's any likelihood that that they changed burrow location to a spot where I can't see them, or do they tend to stay in the same burrow?
150gal/25gal sump Red Sea Max S650, started 3/28/15
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 8:51am
Have you tried "teasing" the out by spot feeding right in front of their lair? That is what I have been doing when I got worried about mine. and my shrimp came out and grabbed some food and then dissapeared again for a week. The following week both were out again... strange yet interesting little critters.
uteman58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uteman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 10:15am
My pistol shrimp is never idol. Even after building what I would consider the best burrow in history it begins digging somewhere else! To be honest it gets a bit aggravating to wake up to a low coral covered in mine tailings. Be patient I bet they show up soon.
Creating ocean puddles in an alkaline state.
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 1:47pm
So funny, after not seeing either one for weeks when I usually saw them daily, I just saw the shrimp 2 days in a row in the old burrow! No sign of the goby though. At least I have some hope now.
150gal/25gal sump Red Sea Max S650, started 3/28/15
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic