Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

coral bleaching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coral bleaching
    Posted: August 16 2015 at 10:10pm
I have an rsm 130 with a lot of various lps and 1 or 2 sps. It has been running for close to a year now and all of a sudden everything is bleaching...from the pc's...wth? I have had many tanks in my life with led's and pc's and have never had a problem with coral bleaching from pc's. Has anybody else? These ones are only 36w bulbs. Very frustrated. I have just been leaving my blue stunners on to try and save them any help?? Thanks in advance.
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 10:31pm
Did you just change bulbs and they started bleaching? How's your alk? I know when I had a few things bleach my alk had gotten out of whack!

Edited by bstuver - August 16 2015 at 10:31pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
catchoftheday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 5:19am
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Did you just change bulbs and they started bleaching? How's your alk? I know when I had a few things bleach my alk had gotten out of whack!

Good call Jackie I was thinking the same thing what is your Alk at ?
I currently have a 24 gallon JBJ all in one tank has two powerheads a phosphate reactor with the small bubble skimmer it is also powered by 2 X165 W LEDs and as a mixed reef
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 6:01am
My alk is at 11 dkh. Normal is between 9 -12 right? All other params are good too and bulbs are 1 year old. Normal actinic/10k combo bulbs
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 7:08am
Have you added anything that would strip phosphates and nitrates? My friend added bio pellets and it caused his corals to bleach.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 10:06am
Nope, it has been stable forever. Nothing added. Phosphate zero. Nitrate zero
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 10:17am
If Phosphate and nitrate are truly at zero, which is debatable depending on what kit was used and the error margin of even the best kits, your Coral's could be starving. What are you using to control Nitrate and phosphate?   Too much GFO will definitely bleach coral.
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 12:10pm
I use prime with a water change biweekly. I use coral exponential and a little marine snow for feeding. I use seagel in my filter chamber and not too much. what else am I looking at? Used this same setup for 10 years and never had a lick of problems. Is it the bulbs??
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 12:16pm
Did you introduce any new corals lately?

Maybe it is not just a bleaching episode, maybe some kind of disease/ infection brought in?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 12:34pm
Random, but do you use the same size bottle of Prime each time? I use it and the smaller bottle is twice the dose as the slight bigger bottle. Probably not it, but just food for thought. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 12:57pm
No the corals I have in there have been in for a year. 3 fish are healthy. Same size bottle of prime used also (small)
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 12:19pm
Anybody else?? Would really like some advice TIA
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 1:51pm
If your bulbs are a year old I'd replace them. Like I said earlier it could be nutrients are too low and you need to feed some more or add some fish. A good way to tell if nutrients are too low is how often you need to clean the front glass of the aquarium. Do you have any film algae growth on the glass or any algae at all in the tank?
reefer86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefer86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 2:59pm
You might want to make sure that your lights are on for the correct amount of time. Its pretty easy to accidentally bump the light timers and send the photoperiod out of wack. This could definitely bleach your corals.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 4:47pm
did you check your temperature?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic