Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trimming the stem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trimming the stem
    Posted: August 26 2015 at 9:41am
I have a symphyllia coral that i purchased from Aquatic Dreams. looks great but... the skeleton on the back is quite long. i did not originally see the skeleton on it until it was bagged and ready to go. I originally was going to put it in my sand bed but with the skeleton as long as it is it will look silly and looks silly the way it sits in the tank now. Is there anyone out there with a saw that can make a good clean cut so i can put this coral in a better spot? The skelton is too big for a simple dremel cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Will throw some money in for your time and efforts.

Edited by Schmidty - August 26 2015 at 9:42am
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 8:51pm
Nobody has something that can cut a 1.5 inch thick trunk off my coral?
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 8:55pm
It seems like bone cutters could easily do that. I'm too far away or I'd help.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 9:08pm
It's 1.5 inches thick and about 3 inches long. I wouldn't trust bone cutters to make a clean cut through I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. Maybe that will help.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 9:13pm
I'm curios to see it. The bone isn't like a human bone, per se. It cuts like butter and would probably shatter if dropped from high enough. But you are right, you'd probably get a less than perfect cut.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic