Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wrasse with sea hare?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tealgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tealgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrasse with sea hare?
    Posted: October 11 2015 at 5:52pm
Anyone have any experience mixing wrasses with sea hares? We have a sea hare (larger) in our predator tank. We lucked out that the puffer (puffer goes by it, but it's more a curiosity), lion fish, and trigger have no interest in it at all... probably based on its size. I've read different things, and they say wrasses are pretty safe with them, but want to see if anyone has any experience. We will most likely be adding a red coris wrasse, and/or banana wrasse.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 11:12am
I would not be concerned with a Wrasse picking on a Sea Hare, but would be more concerned with how I was going to feed the Sea Hare to keep it alive.

A Sea Hare's typical food is not just algae but bacterial and other organic matter growing on the LR and glass, so after it cleans up everything it was brought in to do, it moves around more, looking for more to eat. This often leads to getting caught in powerheads and overflows, to pollute the tank and die. If that doesn't happen, it just starves and slowly fades away behind the rocks. This sometimes leads to another outbreak of nuisance algae. Unhappy

To control nuisance algae in a predator tank I believe a better method is to keep the light intensity lower and use plenty of Activated Alumina to remove PO4. The low PO4, and low light inhibit algae growth so that animals are not needed for algae control. If this sounds interesting, I have 10 lbs. of Activated Alumina that I'll sell for what it cost me, $50. Please call or text 808-345-1049.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic