Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

power out for 12+ hours

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power out for 12+ hours
    Posted: November 07 2015 at 7:06am
What needs to be done after a tank has been without power for 12+ hours?
Everything looked bad, but nothing looked dead. All I had time to do was restore power, and adjust the skimmer to wetter.
Is there anything I should try and instruct my wife to do? Or should do myself tonight?
This is for my 40g, mostly softies, hammer (and the like), lps, fish, and a sps.
Thanks
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 7:30am
If all the pumps are back online I wouldn't freak out. If you noticed the corals slime coating when the power was off you may want to run some carbon. 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 8:28am
Once the power is back on do nothing...
It's while the power is off that is the problem!  Stirring the tank, keeping it warm, O2 up, etc.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 9:02am
Just found out it was 24 hours
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 10:24am
I am surprised that with no heat, no air, and no water movement for 24 hours that everything wasn't completely dead. I have heard so many horror stories about "more than 4 hours".
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 11:07am
Cooler water holds more O2, marine animal metabolism slows and larger water surface/shallower tank helps O2 diffuse into the water, so if there aren't too many animals to consume O2 a power outage is typically no big deal. If the tank is near a window providing some sunlight shining in on algae on the glass and rocks (coralline too), a long power outage hardly causes any problem at all.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic