Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clownfish chasing other clownfish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reefer86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefer86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clownfish chasing other clownfish
    Posted: November 28 2015 at 10:55pm
I have two flurry clownfish that are a few months old. These fish have been eating and growing quite well. I've noticed signs that these fish may be pairing up (twitching and swimming closely to one another). One of the fish has started to increase in size much more than the other fish. For the past few days the larger clown has been chasing the smaller clown around the tank. The smaller clown has a few hiding spots where he's been getting some space from the larger clown. I figured that this is pretty normal behavior but I thought I'd get advice from the forum just in case.

Should I be worried about the smaller clown that is getting chased around? Also, I've been making sure that the smaller clown is eating when I feed the tank. Thanks in advance for any help!
A Reef Oasis View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Reef Oasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 12:54am
Sounds like normal paring behavior. 
"oh crap where am I going to put that!" bstuver
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 4:14am
I agree. The larger fish is now the dominant female.
The aggression can get pretty bad too. For example, in a small group of young Tomato Clowns the dominant female almost ripped the jaw off of one of the males. That male's jaw healed and to my surprise, later on he became the father. Here he is guarding the eggs of that dominant female.

I love showing off one of the two babies that I raised. This was when raising clownfish was in it's infancy, almost 20 years ago. Nowadays, A Reef Oasis has far surpassed my tiny success, regularly raising 100's of babies from each clutch. Clap

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
reefer86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefer86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 4:25pm
Cool. Thanks guys!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic