Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My naso tang not eat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KelDoan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelDoan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My naso tang not eat
    Posted: December 15 2015 at 11:05am
Hi all,
I got trouble with my naso tang... He havent eat anything since couple weeks. I need help. Another thing i just lost my blue powder tang without reason, because last night it still ate :< and my blue hippo and clown tang have ick :<
Should i install uv sterilizer? Does sterilizer kill bugs for my 2 mandarin goby.?
Calcium 420
Alk 6.7
Mg 1480
Water 1.023
Phosphate read 0
Nitrate 0
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 7:22am
Sorry to hear of the fish deaths and illness. The Ich parasite can be trouble but we know how to control it. It's probably the cause of the fish problems you described. Have you read the Reefkeeping Tips about this, especially about how to keep fish healthy and happy and free of troubles?

I believe that most of us avoid buying Powder Blue Tangs (and Powder Brown Tangs) because they don't do so well alone in captivity, easily succumbing to Ich or other disease. It's almost the same for Blue Hippo Tangs. When the Ich parasite population explodes it starts growing on almost all the fish.

Here is a list of the things that can be done to control Ich and a few other fish problems. The items are listed beginning with the easiest and least expensive, which I recommend trying first:

#1 Create a healthy, comfortable, stress free environment for the animals. (Ask for details.)

#2 Add a Garlic Oil product to the food per these instructions

#3 Use a UV Sterilizer, OR use an Ozone unit delivering O3 to a skimmer. (Use one or the other, NOT both.)

#4 Quarantine the fishless aquarium, quarantine all fish and quarantine everything added to the aquarium using the ~2 month procedure found linked in the Reefkeeping Tips.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
About the Mandarin; if the tank is at least 75 gals and item #1 is followed, a UV Sterilizer used properly, should allow the Mandarin to find enough live bugs to eat.

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 16 2015 at 7:33am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 9:48am
I would set up a QT tank and run copper. If your other fish have ich I would bet your Naso has it as well. I have a purple tang that has gotten ich a few times from adding new fish(even after QTing them) and I had to take all my fish out and treat them.

It is a lot of work but worth it in the end. I would bet if you don't treat them for this they will all die.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 5:18pm
I don't mean to be disagreeable, but there is no reason for all the fish to die. Think about it. If the extensive and laborious quarantine procedure can be avoided by doing a couple simple things, why not do the easy stuff first? 
It's logical to use Garlic Oil now and see how it helps. Like the instructions say, if it doesn't clear up in 1-2 days, try another Garlic Oil product. My very first experience with using Garlic Oil about 15 years ago was very successful and results were very quick. A Blue Hippo Tang that was covered with Ich the day of treatment, was completely cleared up the next day and never had any serious troubles after that. When the problem fish is cleared up, all the other fish won't have a problem with the parasite. Big smile 

I know that I have a knack for this. My success has a lot to do with item #1 in my previous post and my years of experience. Unfortunately, making the tank a low stress, healthy and comfortable place is not easy to teach others how to do, but I'm ready, willing and available to try. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 16 2015 at 5:22pm
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 4:53pm
Since this has been on going for a couple of months now.
I would quit adding fish.
Take the advice of someone knowledgeable, like MARK.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 10:05pm
Or the expert advice of Shaun #1. Do you know this guy? I couldn't see where he said how long it's been going on.

Are you there KelDoan? Is this info helpful?

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 9:31am
Curious the size of your tank and how long the tangs have been in there?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 9:53am
Photos would be great.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 4:48pm
Red sea 450 guys. I believe it's 92 gallons.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
KelDoan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelDoan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 11:53pm
Thank you so much... Infor really help me but he .... Just gone :< thanks for all help. I think i should keep tank stay out of fish for couple months :<
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by KelDoan KelDoan wrote:

I think i should keep tank stay out of fish for couple months :<
Why do that? I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make sense. It's not just about not keeping fish in the tank for a couple months. I'm pretty sure that you have not tried items 1-3, the things that are easier. You have not asked to discuss how to make the tank a better environment, or told us how Garlic Oil has worked for you, or asked about O3.

It's not right to keep taking fish from the ocean, only to see them die in your tank from lack of providing a good nvironment.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 8:57am
I mean no offense, just that there are different ways to do everything. Some are simply differences of opinion and personal preference while other ways range from:
worst <-----> best
dumb <----> smart
complicated <----> simple
difficult <----> easy
Notice how "best", "smart", "simple" and "easy" are all on the same side of the spectrum. Star

To leave the tank fishless and do the long quarantine-treatment of all new additions, may seem good at first look, but when Ich comes in through one drop of non-quarantined water on a fish, a coral frag, sand, rock or a piece of equipment, all the effort and time ends up being wasted. It's my understanding that one single Ich Parasite can grow ~50 new parasites in just the first generation.

My opinionated 2 cents.
Aloha,
Mark Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic