Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cadlights 42 Versa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 8:13pm

The rock was boiled Dead

Are you aware of the wonderful benefit of Peppermint Shrimp? They eat Aiptasia and then, even though the Aiptasia are completely eliminated, the shrimp remain perfect tankmates.

Please forgive me but I feel that I must say something. Another person returned here to the forum recently after being away from the hobby, saying that they bought an existing tank and had already set all the rock out to dry, specifically to kill Aiptasia. I held my tongue on that one, mostly because it was too late, the deed was done. In this case, because you have been receptive to other advice and because only one rock was killed, I thought it might be good to offer this little tip about Peppermint Shrimp. I believe I posted a thread of the discussion regarding Aiptasia and Peppermint Shrimp in the Reefkeeping Tips, ...Yes, it's there. Please take a moment to read it.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone, but I consider Live Rock just the same as a live coral or a fish. It makes me hurt when I hear these reports about killing LR. In the very moment, it may not come to mind that we have an answer here, but I sure do appreciate the hobbyists that do ask before taking action. I post my phone number often and it's also posted in the Reefkeeping Tips. I am always willing to answer a phone call/text to help out right on the spot when possible.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Churchtown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Churchtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 8:46pm
I get that your trying to help the guy out, but maybe he just wanted the satisfaction of killing something that pissed him off. The "rocks are people too" is a bit much.
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Yeah if you were just using the pump that it came with you definitely needed more flow.

Well i had that i hydor with it too. But those things suck. 
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

The rock was boiled Dead

I get what your saying, But that rock came from a different tank that i just didn't trust. But i'm with Churchtown on this one. Sometimes it just makes you feel better to take care of something using drastic measures. 

CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Churchtown Churchtown wrote:

I get that your trying to help the guy out, but maybe he just wanted the satisfaction of killing something that pissed him off. The "rocks are people too" is a bit much.

Clap

Thanks again Dave, Your tank and Man Cave set up is money!
Churchtown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Churchtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 10:10pm
Any time Steve, looking forward to the brew
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 12:27am
I'm not on the same page as Mark either I get what he's saying because there is a ton of live stuff in our rocks but I wouldn't go as far as to feel bad for it. However I would agree that peppermint shrimp are an excellent way to help rid a tank of aiptasia. My other concern would also be that I am doubting that one little aiptasia killed your duncan. I have two different duncans and they pack a pretty good punch themselves killing anything around them. I guess it could have irritated it to it's death but I am guessing seems it was one of the first corals you had that maybe it just slowly declined, a coral can go really fast or it can take weeks to months to slowly die off. Hopefully things are getting better with more flow and tank maturity. Did you start out with all live rock?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 7:36am
I agree with Jackie. I agree with all of you. After I posted that I had second thoughts, but it was too late and I got distracted. I woke up this morning to see if I could take back my words, but dang, my strong opinions have gotten me into trouble once again. Ouch

Aloha
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

I'm not on the same page as Mark either I get what he's saying because there is a ton of live stuff in our rocks but I wouldn't go as far as to feel bad for it. However I would agree that peppermint shrimp are an excellent way to help rid a tank of aiptasia. My other concern would also be that I am doubting that one little aiptasia killed your duncan. I have two different duncans and they pack a pretty good punch themselves killing anything around them. I guess it could have irritated it to it's death but I am guessing seems it was one of the first corals you had that maybe it just slowly declined, a coral can go really fast or it can take weeks to months to slowly die off. Hopefully things are getting better with more flow and tank maturity. Did you start out with all live rock?

Yeah i started with all live rock. On the Duncans you could see where the Aiptasia had stung it at the base and it had eaten away the base of it. This was one of the healthiest corals in my tank. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic