Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Is This Dinoflagellates???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2016 at 3:38pm
I have a low power stereo microscope in my electronics lab.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2016 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by electricreefer electricreefer wrote:

Hi pharmaski I have a microscope.... I was going to pull up pictures on Google then compare what I see to what I can find online.
I'd love to see what you find. I hope you'll post/link to the pic when you find the match. 

Coincidentally or not, I'm dealing with the same exact stuff in one of my maintenance tanks. It's growing worse than the pics in the OP. The snails are clearing it up but there aren't enough snails. That's partly why it bloomed, because I had let the snail population get too low and let the PO4 level get too high.

Maybe it's the season for this kind of Cyano. The beginning of summer is the time of year when we see an increase in typical Cyano blooms.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 1:35pm
Under the microscope if it looks like individual "sputnik" satellite shaped objects it's Dino.

If it looks like a long train of connected cars, it's cyano.

... let me google a bit...

Dino:

cyano:

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 1:43pm
Oh and just to make it confusing, diatoms look kinda like a mix between the two :)
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 4:28pm
Humm, wonder how high of magnification they used? Mine is 7-45X.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 4:57pm
That dino looks to be 640x...
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 11:24pm
Landon- I have an excellent scope you are welcome to use.  From my lab.  It has oil immersion, you can go 1000x if you want.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
electricreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electricreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 6:43am
Excellent thanks for posting those pics jfinch.
electricreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electricreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 6:52am
And thanks to you too Adam for offering your insight and help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic