Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish Trap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
andyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish Trap
    Posted: January 20 2016 at 3:35pm
Hey Fellow Reefers... 
I have a yellow tang that has cost me 3 lives in the past 10 days. Ouch I've attempted the old net... with no avail... looking to see if anyone out there has one of those food traps to catch this guy that I could borrow for a few hours?  He's a juvenilie.. only 3-4 inches. So not full grown by any means. 
Preferable someone in the Salt lake area would be nice! Thanks!
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2016 at 3:57pm
I made my own once. I got a 2 liter bottle cut the top off and holes in the bottom. Then I zip tied some nori sheets inside. The tang got comfortable and went in to get the nori. When it was good and comfortable with me hovering over with a net I stuck the net in front of the opening and pulled out the 2 liter bottle.

Worked better than I thought it would. I took probably 3 minutes or less.
andyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2016 at 3:59pm
Genious. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2016 at 4:07pm
What 3 lives?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2016 at 6:42pm
I'm in Murray and I have one of the club's loaner fish traps.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
andyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2016 at 7:20pm
2 clowns... (One overnight, no signs of sickness, had him 1 month. Other is adult, one day woke up to him with a broke jaw.... which I assume was from the tang chasing him probably.) And a flame angel. He was new to the tank, (3 days) From the moment he was put in the tank, the tang was always backing up trying to cut him. Angel spent all 3 days hiding. He had no signs of sickness as well, so I would assume that the tang is the culprit.
Although I can really only tag him for sure to one. I dont see any other reason/fish that would have done it. All parameters are in check and have been stable. 
In the past few weeks this tang has grown quite a bit in its aggressiveness. Both to others and chasing himself in the reflection in the glass. Just have no other idea what would have happened if it wasn't this guy. (I know that normally they don't "tend" to go after fish that appear like them.. but I just have no other clue what it could be?)

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2016 at 10:27pm
I believe Hogie asked the right question. Sounds to me like something more is going on here than just a murderous Yellow Tang. Something is irritating all the fish, stressing them all out and it's leading to some serious complications.

If you're willing to discuss your tank and maybe post a pic of it, we can play Detective Spooner like in the movie I, Robot. Remember how people just assumed that it was a simple case of Dr. Lanning committing suicide?

Let's start with these questions:
How long has the tank been running Question
What are the parameters that you mentioned - please list and give the actual numbers Question
How long has the YT been in the tank Question
What fish went in to the tank in what order Question
Is there any green algae growing in the tank Question
Do you have a multi-meter to test voltage Question

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049 call/text for immediate reefkeeping help
andyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 8:06am

I appreciate the help!

So, I bought the tank 4 months ago. It was already up and running before I had bought it for 5+ years. All the sand and LR was from the previous owner... except a few pieces.

125 g with 20 g sump/ref

Gravity: 1.027

Temp: 78

pH: 7.8-8.0ish

Alk: 7.5dKH

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate .5

Cal: 450ppm

Mag: 1260

The YT was the first fish that we purchased... There were 2 fish already in there from previous owner. One clown (the one that had the broken jaw and died last Fri) and then a starry blenny. So it has been in the tank for about 3 months. I must add, I did not see any aggression from this Tang (Even chasing itself in the glass reflection) Until a couple weeks ago.

Since then we have added in order:

clownfish... not sure what type.. not completely black and white... orange nose. *died last week

hippo tang - Has some ich - but have not seen on any other fish. Treating with garlic.

Wyoming clown & onyx clown

Green Mandarin

Flame Angel *Died yesterday

The only green algae... if you want to call it that... is the film of green that builds up on the glass. See pic below... I haven't cleaned the glass in a few days and this is the buildup. the bleached white coralline algae is green on the back of the tank as well.

Aand lastly I do not have a multi meter. :(

Hopefully this can help.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 9:34am
Saw the tank last night and spent several hours with andyj. Donna and I enjoyed seeing Andrew's reef and visiting with him. We are glad he called. Smile Tileman/Brad lives in the same neighborhood. Smile The tank looks really good. Thinking back on last nights visit, I used to do this with every new member of the WMAS. I believe we all need to be more active at visiting with each other to pick each others brains, share our passion and to help each other improve our hobby experience. That's why I love being a member of this club and hardly ever miss a meeting.

I believe the fish issues were caused by perceived lack of food and normal mating based aggression. These conditions can be overcome next time fish are added by providing some Macroalgae in the display, as part of a fish acclimation/introduction procedure to include an acclimation container, fish training and an effective Garlic product to maintain health. Refer to the Reefkeeping Tips(below), especially this topic and it's follow up topics: Secrets of adding new fish, fish training and the miracle of Garlic Oil.

Oh, the Specific Gravity is a little high and Alkalinity is a little low. Again, I refer to the information contained in the Reefkeeping Tips.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
I just realized that my wife and I drove away without giving you some Garlic Perles and I still need to check on that skimmer sponge. I'll let you know.

Here is a pic of the skimmer air inlet muffler/silencer. 
The white tubing is 3/8" plastic water line available, along with the pipe, at Lowes/HD. 
I believe that, because of its stiff yet porous internal structure, ABS pipe is quieter.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 11:05am
Mark- I'd be thrilled if you made me one of those skimmer silencers. I'd love one.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 11:58am
i used a long (~12") cylindrical flower vase to catch fish. put food in the end. when the fish gets the food, there isn't enough time to turn around and be free. the bottle method never worked for me.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 4:54pm
Adam- You got it my friend.
Aloha,
Mark  Hug
andyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 10:40am
Hey Mark, 

Thanks for coming over! It was good to meet you and to chat a little bit. Thanks for all the tips! And I completely forgot that you were going to check for some things in your car as well! So no worries at all! If you are going to make a muffler... could I bother you to make me one as well? If not, no worries. I'd definitely pay you for it!

Once again, it was great to meet you! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic