Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sump Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sump Design
    Posted: February 05 2016 at 9:35am
I am trying to design my sump and I have some questions.

I have seen people you a wide variety of things to build their sumps, from
Pre purchased sumps, to Rubbermaid containers to wood boxes lined with plastic. What are people using and why?

Also what is the optimal flow rate as well as sump to tank ratio.
Justin W.

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 10:30am
The most common sumps are made with acrylic or glass. You can really make one out of anything that holds water and let's you add the other sump parts that you want in there.

Your sump should be able to handle at least 10X the water volume or your system flowing through it every hour. I would go for closer to 20 myself.

More important than the flow rate is can it hold enough water so that when the power goes out it doesn't overflow onto your floor.

Edited by Krazie4Acans - February 06 2016 at 9:31am
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 8:25am

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 9:42am
I built a sump up on the cheap using 5 gallon salt buckets for the different chambers. I worked ok, but wasn't what I really wanted. It was kind of a surprise tank that my son showed up with and we had to put it together with what we had.

I cut holes in the buckets and put in some uniseals and pipes to connect it all together.
christhjesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christhjesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 9:32pm

I used a 55gal tank I had sitting around and used silicone to glue in baffles made from glass picked up from Home Depot.  Just calculate what the excess head height is when pumps are turned off to judge how high to put the baffles, if you choose to have baffles.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic