Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fasteddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasteddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doser
    Posted: February 18 2016 at 9:01pm
I have decided to take the route of dosing for my new set up on a 120 gallon tank. I have been looking at many different brands of dosers. What doser do you use? Pros and cons? Any issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3 tanks and no money
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 9:23pm
bulk reef supply 1.1ml per minute dosers - had them for many years and have done nothing to them in terms of maintenance, very reliable - but only draw back is you must have an apex or other controller to put them to good work.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 10:19pm
I agree, these are great dosing pumps. I wonder if a digital timer could be used to run them?
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 10:34pm
Digital timers do work with them, BRS even has a few video's where they mention using digital timers. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 8:40am
Really good dosing (diastolic) pumps can be purchased at the U of U Surplus for $20. Smile

I've used a dosing pump plugged into an ordinary appliance timer with it's 10-15 minute increments. I set it to turn on for a few minutes/day to deliver the amount of fluid needed. 

Something to think about is the strength of the solution to be dosed. I make my own Alk and Ca solutions, so they can be made as concentrated or as weak as needed. They are not as concentrated as the expensive pre-made solutions, but cost a lot less. Even the concentrated store bought solutions can be diluted with RO water. Of course as the stony coral, Coralline Algae and snail/invert population increases, the tanks need for Alk and Ca increases so the solution can be concentrated or the dosing time can be lengthened accordingly.

Just be sure to do regular testing.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
fasteddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasteddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 11:20am
Awesome. Thanks guys. Anyone using a jebeo or bubble magus or any other brand?
3 tanks and no money
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 1:46pm
I use a Bubble and the BRS pumps. Since I don't use a controller- they are slightly more annoying to program. But it just adds minutes over the Bubble. I prefer the simplicity of the Bubble but really only trust the BRS 100%.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 3:32pm
I run the Jebao DP4 love the controllability and really you can't beat under $100 for it all.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
christhjesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christhjesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 1:17pm
Been running a jebao dp4 for about a month. I use it as a top-off also. The top-off sees a good amount of work daily due to it topping off 6000ml daily. It's probably done a years work compared to what the other heads do on a daily basis. The only issue with the top-off head is it has got noisy, it squeaks when running.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 2:02pm
Replacement heads are pretty cheap for the DP-4. A little lithium grease would probably help as well.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 6:20pm
Was at U of U Surplus today -- No pumps. Doesn't mean there won't be any tomorrow they go through a huge amount of stuff. Just no pumps today.
I like to think that the moon is there, even when I'm not looking at it.
~Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic