Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hydroids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hydroids
    Posted: March 09 2016 at 3:15pm
I may have a small start of a hydroid colony forming.  lots of opinions on getting rid of them, anyone want to chime in?
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 3:19pm
could it also be aptasia?  I hear they look similar... hopefully a pic to come soon
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 3:32pm
If they are hydroids then they normally take care of themselves and will just die off as part of the tank maturing. Reducing the amount of food being fed can help as well. Unless you have a very large number of them then I wouldn't worry about it.

Are they on the glass or on rocks? They could be glass nems or ball nems as well as aiptasia. A pic would help a lot in identifying what you are dealing with.

Edited by Krazie4Acans - March 09 2016 at 3:33pm
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 4:38pm
There are hydroids that start up in a new tank that may actually be one of the phases of the life of a Jelly or a single new Coral polyp. See the pic below. 

To the new hobbyist it may seem like there are lots of scary pests to watch out for. Statistically speaking, that's simply not so. The few pests that we typically see can be counted on one hand, while the number of beneficial organisms that live in our aquariums numbers in the 1000's. Plus, we know how to deal with those pests. Approve

I have a system growing many of those beneficial organisms, including millions of beneficial bugs, such as Amphipods, Copepods, Mysid Shrimp, Bristleworms and Spaghetti Worms. I can't remember if you've had the chance to visit, but I always share loads of live stuff with visitors, for free. Come on over and get some and we can spend some time talking reef. You know my number, 808-345-1049.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Surrounding the large polyp, those things on the glass are copepods. Smile 

Amphipod

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 5:51pm
If the hydroids look like the picture mark posted then i wouldn't worry about it as Krazie stated as the tank matures they will go away. (Unless your doing a dwarf seahorse tank)

If they look like this...
http://www.austinreefclub.com/images/mypics/IMG_6193.jpg
Then they are colonial hydriods and can easily tank over a tank and kill livestock.

If it looks like this...
http://aquanerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Ultra-LE-500-Aiptasia.jpg
Its an aiptasia anemone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 8:35am
I couldn't get a very good pic of the problem area.  I even tried sticking my GoPro in the tank.  From the pictures above, I would lean towards the colonial hydroids, just because it seems that there is a small, tight cluster of them and not just a random few.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 8:41pm
I have had something like those before. They didn't take over and eventually died off. If it were me, I'd simply enjoy that unique new life form, but check on it from time to time, to be ready for any possible issues. Sometimes even the negative things end up helping in a positive way. Take Bristleworms for instance. They can cause a little pain in the finger, may seem grotesque to some people, but they are such useful scavengers and their spawn provide live food for the tank. Big smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 7:53am
thanks, Mark.  i'll keep an eye on them and watch for any issues to arise.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic