Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dosing Alk help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dosing Alk help?
    Posted: March 23 2016 at 3:42pm
So i have had my ALK stay pretty consistent at 9dkh and i've been pretty happy with that. I have been adding 2 part BRS ALK to my top-off reservoir and i make sure that it's mixed with the RO pretty good. I think i have the ratio down pretty good to keep it around 9.

Anyways, i have heard that adding ALK to a top off reservoir may not be the best way to dose.

Thoughts?????
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 3:50pm
I've heard of people doing that with Kalk, but not Alk. I think Alk would be trickier since its not as balanced as Kalk (which has Ca, Alk, etc.). My worry would be the needs for your top off changing with the season. I would personally get in the habit of dosing the tank, this way, you know what you are doing each time and can increase it as you get more corals. Right now, you are guessing, for the most part, since your top off can use more or less water each day- it would be hard to say the exact ML of Alk you added. But thats impressive you balanced your top off water with your Alk needs. Way to advanced for me! I just add a simple, set number each day, and walk away. Haha.

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

I've heard of people doing that with Kalk, but not Alk. I think Alk would be trickier since its not as balanced as Kalk (which has Ca, Alk, etc.). My worry would be the needs for your top off changing with the season. I would personally get in the habit of dosing the tank, this way, you know what you are doing each time and can increase it as you get more corals. Right now, you are guessing, for the most part, since your top off can use more or less water each day- it would be hard to say the exact ML of Alk you added. But thats impressive you balanced your top off water with your Alk needs. Way to advanced for me! I just add a simple, set number each day, and walk away. Haha.

Marcos

Thanks Marcos, That defiantly makes sense. Maybe i'll just switch to Kalk. Big smile
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 3:59pm
It makes sense in my head, but I am newer to this hobby, like 1.5 years, not decades like some on here...

Maybe check the Reef Tipzzz and wait for others to chime in. LOL

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 4:24pm
You don't want to dose Alk without dosing calc. They have an inverse relationship (it's not directly inverse, but for our intent it's close enough) so as alk goes up, calc goes down. Like Marcoss said, the Kalk has both Alk and Calc and some people do put that into their top off. The key is to find out how much calc and alk your tank is using (by testing) and then you know how much it needs. Extreme examples: if you have a fish only tank (or say a softie tank) and have Kalk in the top off, your tank is hardly using any and it will be dosing way too much. Contrast that with if you have an overcrowded sps tank like mine, having it in the top off is not even close to enough. That's why it's tank specific.

(one more little note: it can also precipitate in the top off [the milky white residue that's around the edges) if it's in there for a while so you loose it's effectiveness as well.)

Here's an article that helped with with calc/alk problems that I got from Fatman (thanks Kevin )
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

And here's an article describing the calc alk mag relationships that I found helpful too. Also from Fatman.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/rhf/feature/index.htm

They're a bit long (but worth the read) but in summary, the first article tells the "how" about dosing and the second tells the "why" just if you're looking for some more info.

Edited by Hogie - March 23 2016 at 4:33pm
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 6:30pm
I'd be cautious about putting Alk and Ca in the top off. If you put them in together they will tend to precipitate out and won't do any good. Take an ounce of each pour them together in a cup and see what I mean.

If you dose it should be in a high flow area and not at the same time. I don't recall the recommendation on the time spacing but you want to separate them by a few minutes. I dose alk in the overflow and later do some Ca in the sump.

Kalkwasser is different, it's balanced Ca and Alk. I use two TEASPOONS in a gallon of RO water with 35 ml of white vinegar to help it stay in suspension. I like it because I carbon dose vinegar anyway.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 7:59pm
I agree I manually dosed until this last week when I finally hooked up my Jebao auto doser. One of the best things I've bought! And only about $70 with prime shipping through amazon
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 9:31am
Awesome, Thanks for the info guys. I like the idea of the Kalk. (I think i may be switching to that) I have been dosing CA as well. i've just been putting a capful or two in every other day and just been putting it right into the filter sock. Just trying to keep my CA around 420-450 ish and the ALK has been at a steady 9.
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 9:34am
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

I agree I manually dosed until this last week when I finally hooked up my Jebao auto doser. One of the best things I've bought! And only about $70 with prime shipping through amazon

I'm defiantly going to look into this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic