Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY steel stand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY steel stand
    Posted: September 01 2005 at 1:24pm
me and my friend made a stand out of steel last night for my 10g nano.  I need to add some grill type stuff to the bottom to make it protected for my tiny sump I plan on getting but other than that its pretty much done.  It was less that $20 for all the metal, and took about 2 hours to make.  It's stronger than most wood stands I'm sure, I literally jumped on top of it where the tank sits and I weigh 175 so it is sturdy lol.

I need to get clearer pics of the actual stand.  I left it unfinished so it would take on that rustic metal look, because that matches my tank well I think.

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 1:34pm
nice job! looks solid!
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 1:39pm
thanks!  I was just gonna use my old stand but the new place I live in for school won't let me drill holes in the ceiling for the DIY MH light, so I had to design something new that would hold the light.  Also one of my concerns was designing something small that could be moved around along with the tank.  For this reason the top part that holds the light and the actual stand aren't welded together, but bolted, so I can disassemble it.  

Edited by bambbrose
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 4:46pm
If you don't paint it or something, the rust will get all over your hands, clothes, whatever if you brush up against the stand.

Nice job!
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 4:55pm

If you get it powder coated that will last the longest

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

If you don't paint it or something, the rust will get all over your hands, clothes, whatever if you brush up against the stand.

Nice job!

ah that is very true.  I thought about that a little bit but decided against it.  Maybe when the rust becomes permanent enough that i can wipe it clean and still have the look I want then I'll coat it with some clearcoat.  I don't really "brush" up against it too much.

on a side note I went to regional and bought acrylic and weld-on today to build my sump.  I'm excited to finally get some more water in my system.  It's a 10g tank but I bet there is less than 7 with all the rock/sand
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic