Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canister filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canister filter
    Posted: May 06 2016 at 6:17am
I was wondering how a canister filter would do on a fish only system. Just looking for opinions and suggestions on making this work. Thanks in advance everyone!!
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 6:58am
I've seen some pretty nice systems using canister filters. I personally wouldn't do it just because they require very militant maintenance and I know I wouldn't keep up on it well.

Fish only would be less susceptible to issues with Nitrates and phosphates that would spike if the filter isn't maintained and kept clean, but the algae that can kick off due to those levels can be very hard to get under control once it get a hold.

So, doable for sure. However, if you are not a VERY scheduled and reliable maintenance type guy then I would look for other options.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 7:21am
Thank so much for the quick reply Krazie. You pretty much nailed what my LFS's and friends in the hobby have said. I do know I am a very scheduled maintenance kind of person. I had a 72g reef that I a lot of success with and took very good care of. Because really, it's an investment. But since then I've moved and just don't have the space to do the typical sump filtration. Sorry for all the mumbo jumbo. A canister seems to be my best option for my circumstances. But I don't want to go for it without some good opinions.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 7:36am
Sounds like you've looked into it some then. My suggestion if you're going this route is to get the biggest (multiple chamber) canister you can afford. The extra water volume they hold will be beneficial as well as make sure you have a little overhead on the filtration capacity. The multiple chambers will allow you to choose a few different filter media to give you the results you are trying to achieve.

Also look at features and how easy the canisters are to open and access for maintenance. There is nothing worse than buying one only to find out it takes two hours, 6 buckets and 14 towels to change the filters.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 8:07am
Ha ha! I hear ya! The tank is a custom 90g and I have a canister rated for 180g. I figured I would at least have to go double.
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 3:18pm
I ran one on my old 125g for like 4 years. I kept softies and anemones in it, but nothing more sophisticated. It worked great!
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by superman1981 superman1981 wrote:

I ran one on my old 125g for like 4 years. I kept softies and anemones in it, but nothing more sophisticated. It worked great!

Just a canister? And that's all? No skimmer?
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 3:36pm
I also used an AllFlo Freedom Filter/Skimmer. Instead of being an HOB skimmer, the box fits inside the tank, so it basically looks like an overflow. It worked surprisingly well, but I don' think they make them anymore.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably use a Remora HOB skimmer.
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 4:24pm
Thank you so much guys!!!
MarcRoberts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcRoberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 12:23am
There are varoius and other pretty nice systems using canister filters. Many aspects leads to the perfect aquarium.
Filtration is important though. It is much better to have aquaristic online
and follow a content equipments for filtration.
Marc Roberts
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 11:09am
- Why do a "fish only" tank, when a reef tank can be so simple and healthier for the fish?
Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic