Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATO Systems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATO Systems
    Posted: July 29 2016 at 9:22am
I'm currently in the market for one and am looking for advice on the best brands, reasonably priced and good customer service if anything goes wrong with the system. I'm leaving for 8 days in October and I CANNOT leave it to the responsibility of friends. Not that my friends aren't reliable but life does happen and I can't risk it. 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 9:56am
You are smart to be thinking about this so far ahead. A simple yet effective top-off system is this:

IMO, the simplest, most fail proof and most economical top-off system is to place a 5 gal bucket on a high chair or ladder with ordinary aquarium air line tubing leading down to just above the water. Make sure the airline is secured so it cannot move/fall out of the bucket or the tank. Using an aquarium in-line air valve(or a loose knot in the tubing) on the bottom end, adjust the drip rate to correspond with evaporation. 

If the evaporation exceeds the drip, which is actually the safest way to set the drip rate, an experienced hobbyist can add extra water to the tank, when they drop by to check on things. This is best arranged a week beforehand to set the drip rate, but then it can be left alone to do it's job without fear of failure. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
Please tell us you are going to have an experienced hobbyist check on your tank every 4 days or so. Top off is only one of the things that should be checked when going away for an extended time. Only an experienced hobbyist can notice little things before they become big problems. Friends think everything is fine and you come home to dead animals. Cry This sad story has been told here more times than I can count.

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 29 2016 at 10:12am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 10:35am
I've had many. The cheapest one I had good success with was the JBJ ATO (~$80). Worked well has multiple setup options with just the flip of a switch and works with many pumps.

My favorite was by far the Tunze Osmolator (~$180)(probably because I'm a tech geek and like cool gadgets) but it worked awesome.

I currently have a solenoid on my RO/DI line controlled by my Apex (Let's not talk about cost when mentioning an Apex ).
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 2:25pm
Mark, I will be asking an experienced friend to look after it yes. No worries there.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 4:01pm
I wouldn't recommend the Tunze Nano 3152. I have 3 of them on my small tanks and all of them have rusted on the tank side that's in the water and all rusted in the same spot in the same way.

I contacted Tunze and they said the magnet is collecting metal pieces that are in the water and that's what's rusting. Riiiight...

I do have a couple of the larger osmolator 3155 that don't rust as the magnets and guts of the thing are enclosing in silicone. However, I've found that the pumps seem to get louder with age and I'm replacing the pumps after about a year. I do like how it has a laser and a float value as a back up feature on it. My opinion is a back up on ATO is crucial!

Edited by Hogie - July 29 2016 at 4:04pm
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 2:15am
simple float valve and gravity fed topoff into it. I've been running one for awhile now and it's been working really well.. Super cheap and easy.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 9:37am
Hey Faith, what did you find for your ATO?

I'm completely frustrated with the two top off methods I tried so far on the system I mentioned above. It's for a friend that is bed-ridden so I'm trying to keep costs low. The gravity drip stopped dripping and the "Glug Jug" wouldn't stop seeping. Both of those methods cost practically nothing and I have used them many times before with success, but for some reason I can't get them to work this time.
My next step is to try the next cheapest method:
Originally posted by phys phys wrote:

simple float valve and gravity fed topoff into it. I've been running one for awhile now and it's been working really well.. Super cheap and easy.
If anyone has a Mini Float Valve available, the white one with the adjustable arm, please let me know ASAP
Tanks,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic