Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

moving rock work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: moving rock work
    Posted: September 05 2016 at 4:40pm
So I plan to rearrange my tank, my rocks have been in the same place for just over a year. I plan to move the main rock to the other side of the tank. Will I need to pull everything and rinse/clean my sand seems the rock has been sitting on it in those spots for so long or can I get away with just carefully moving rocks to different spots?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 7:36am
Anybody?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 11:16am
I've carefully moved rock with no issue. I just made sure I had good circulation, and after, I did a water change and added fresh carbon. I used to have some extra HOB filters that I would also add for a short period of time for situations like that.
I also tried to avoid disturbing the whole tank at once.

Edited by MadReefer - September 07 2016 at 11:18am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 4:08pm
Having recently seen the pics of your tank, I believe the latter method will be just fine. The detritus that may get stirred up will be great food for the many coral. IMO, there will be no need for any external filtering because the coral will have totally cleared the water within an hour. (one year is actually a short amount of time for much detritus build up)

You know it's kinda sad that your request has received so few comments, even though it's had plenty of views. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 4:28pm
Thanks guys. I figured I'd be okay but wanted to check seems I have so much coral I did't want to kill. I am actually debating on changing the sand out to black but I haven't fully decided so figured I better ask if I just left it.
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic