Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mixing magnesium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hirfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hirfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixing magnesium
    Posted: September 30 2016 at 12:07am
I have a gallon of magnesium chloride from BRS and i was told i can use epsom salt as a part b to mix it. Has anyone done this before or knows how much epsom salt i need to mix to make up for magnesium sulfate.
Thankyou
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 7:30am
Yes, Just mixed some up this week. A 64 ounce bag then add RO/DI water to make a gallon of volume. Takes a lot of shaking to get it to dissolve.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 1:46pm
You may benefit from reading this, about DIY Mg, Alk and Ca:
Randy Holmes-Farley is the hobbyist guru of reef chemistry.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 30 2016 at 1:48pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hirfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hirfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 1:56pm
On the container it says to mix 5 cups of magnesium chloride and 3 cups of magnesium sulfate so should i stick with same recipe by adding 5 cups of chloride and 3 cups of epsom salt? What brand epsom salt did you use and where to buy it locally?
TIA
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 2:17pm
Yes, that is right. Epsom Salt is high purity MgSO4. It is very cheap, like <$5 dollars for a ~4 lb. bag at Walmart in the pharmacy area. In my own and my maintenance accounts, Epsom Salt(despite its limitations), along with Kent Coral-Vite is all I use for occasional Mg supplementation.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
p_hefe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_hefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 2:20pm
I have a bag of Epson salt you can have.   Text if you want it.   8014507647. I'm in west Jordan too.
You don't quit playing because you grow old. You grow old because you quit playing.
37g, 60g, 75g, 120g all reef
Hirfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hirfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 2:28pm
I got my answer. Thanks everyone, appreciate the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic