Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drilling acrylic???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drilling acrylic???
    Posted: October 03 2016 at 3:21pm
Soooo close to being done with my tank build but I need to drill a 2.75" and 1.75" hole in my acrylic refugium.
Do I need to use a diamond edge hole saw or can I just use a standard hole saw?
Does anyone know what a LFS usually charges to drill these if I'd rather take that route?
I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 3:31pm
You do not have to use a diamond hole saw on plexi but it will give you a bit smoother cut. It's a bit easier to get the hole started with the standard hole saw with the center drill but it can also wander if the center hole gets enlarged during the drilling.

If you use the diamond saws make sure you use water as the plexi will heat up and gum up the bit and you'll have to stop and wait for it to cool before you can continue.

I have seen posts from some LFS in the past that will drill but I can't remember which ones off the top of my shiny melon.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 6:41pm
More teeth will make the cut easier and smoother. I've seen it jerk and crack a little when using a very rough hole saw.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 7:12pm
Go slow and take breaks so the plastic doesn't melt/deform around the cut. 

In the absence of a hole saw, I have drilled 1/4" holes in a circle and cut between the holes using wire cutters or hacksaw blade and then file down the protrusions.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 11:49am

Thanks for all  input everyone!  I'll start searching for a hole saw with as many teeth as possible.  I'll drill slow and take breaks, if it keeps getting hot I'll take it outside and put some water to it. 

I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic