Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green Chromis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fasteddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasteddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green Chromis
    Posted: December 23 2016 at 7:12pm
Ok... so I bought 5 green Chromis fish for my 120gal tank. All 5 of them are schooling together as seen at the local fish store and were bagged together and acclimated together. After I released them into the tank, one has decided to stay alone in the back corner of my tank away from the other fish. The fish will eat any food that comes near him and looks healthy. All fish are peaceful in tank and have not seen any aggressive behavior from any other fish. figured it would just take a little time for him to come out but it has been a week now. Should I be concerned or just let nature take its course? Has anyone seen this before? I have 2 other tanks that he could go in but not sure how it would do alone. Thanks for any input.
3 tanks and no money
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 8:12pm
This is very normal. In the wild where there are predators and in the fish store where they are still very frightened (often in a bare tank) they always school for protection. In our tanks where there are no predators, they split up in steps and start a pecking order. One by one each Chromis Damsel disappears until, if lucky, we are left with 2, or if unlucky we have one lone Chromis Damsel for a few years.  Sorry, but there is hope. Read on.

One way to make things better for more Chromis Damsels to survive is to create dozens of hiding places in LR or Macroalgae forests. Have you ever seen video where a huge school of Damsels disappears into a large Acropora or holes in the rocks?

Copied from Reefkeeping Tips, these discussions may provide some ideas:
Aquascaping tips
How to make it look natural and beautiful. Also, how fish can be happy so they run for cover instead of jumping out of the tank(or disappearing): 

Feel free to post a pic of the tank to get more advice on this.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 10:34am
Agreed

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 1:30pm
There is hope I've had 5 for a couple years now. Keep the fat and happy. It works and aggression is cut to a minimum if at all.

Edited by Reefer4Ever - December 24 2016 at 4:25pm
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 4:14pm
Agreed.
What I would call overfeeding is how public aquariums keep tons of the same fish and different kinds fish in one tank. All those fish are chunky. To handle the heavy feeding, public aquariums use huge filtration equipment, like sand filters, de-nitrification units, UV Sterilizers and huge skimmers. Tileman/Brads tank here in Murray is a good example of what I'm suggesting regarding equipment similar to a public aquarium.

In a 120 gal tank, heavy feeding of a light population of fish can be handled by some or all of these:
1- growing extra biofiltration in the form of: A.) good lively LR with sponge, tunicates and worms, B.) LS packed with bugs and worms, and C.) a well lighted Refugium full of Chaetomorpha and LR rubble or a sand bed;
2- Using a big Skimmer and a UV Sterilizer;
3- Using Carbon dosing with sugar, vodka, vinegar or biopellets. http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70974

All these things process extra pollution from heavy feeding. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 24 2016 at 4:32pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic