Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new 130 gallon FOWLR and new resident

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new 130 gallon FOWLR and new resident
    Posted: September 16 2005 at 1:19am

I finally got my 130 gallon up.  I decided to do FOWLR although as you can see in some of the pics I'm just faking it so far.

Here's some pics of the new resident aquired tonight from Marine Aquatics...

Here's the whole tank.

Notice dinner on the right side of the tank.  He has stalked them all evening with no luck.  They are just too fast for him.  It almost seems like they are teasing him.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 7:13am

It looks Great. Are some of those rocks the ones that you collected two weeks ago? I cleaned mine off and found some nice stuff under all that mud

That is a very cool Lion Fish.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 10:21am

Yes most of the Sand is Utah Oolitic, except the top layer, and most of the rock is GSL Tufa.  I put some live rock from my other tank in it and cleaned up the corals that really didn't have a home from over there and put in here.  Unfortunately when this tank is fully stocked it won't last long.

It looks like his hunting skills have paid off.  I'm down one yellow tail Damsel.  Unfortunately he is taking no interest in anything else I try to feed him.

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 10:52am

Will i could hand feed him frozen krill here at the store and pretty much anything else i would give him, Im sure its just the stress of moving him is all

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 1:25pm

I don't know Will. In that first pic it looks like he's considering the camera for dinner!

By the way; nice fish 

Mike

Edited by MJSavage
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 5:51pm
Eric, I figured he wasn't interested in anything since there is plenty of live food in the tank.  I'm trying to convice him the frozen stuff is much easier to catch.  When he gets them all or finally gets tired of watching them swim away from him I'm sure he'll eat what he's given.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 6:24pm
Wow! He is cool!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 7:26pm

Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

Wow! He is cool!

Thanks!!!

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 8:05pm
he sure loved the frozen i fed him everyday :-)
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 10:39pm
Wonderful fish. It's in her nature to stalk live food and it keeps her busy. I sure miss the gal I had that ate Seabase mollies.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2005 at 8:10am
Mark, HE has a FuManChu! I know some of my gender have facial hair,
but......

Besides, with that kind of attitude, it's got to be a a male! Mr Hunter,
loves to stalk his prey, yawn without covering his huge orifice, and
gulping his food in one bite! Has to be a teenage male!

But, if he starts to move the furniture around.... or directing Will to...

(Pretty steriotypical? I had teenagers already!)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2005 at 11:56am

My wife and I were discussing this very subject last night.  Is there a way to determine the sex of a Lion fish?  I need to get some literature.  Now that I have this fish I have a ton of questions about it's behavior.  Watching this fish has been very interesting.

Here's one bit we noticed that may disgust some people.

As I reported the other day I found I a yellowtail Damsel was missing.  My wife reported later that she saw it get itself eaten.  It just got to brave yesterday morning and in a split second it became breakfast.  While we were watching it later that night it did it's "business" and a small string of what was left of the yellowtail drifted to the bottom of the tank.  Interestingly enough the color of the feces was blue except for one end that was yellow.

Also he tried a piece of the shrimp I fed him last night, but spit it back out.  He did this twice with the same piece.  I decided that maybe he didn't like the shell I had left on the shrimp so I took the shell off another small piece and gave him.  He seemed very interested in it and got right up close as if to eat it and then made a charge at it as if to get it to move.  When nothing happened after several attempts he butted at it with his chin a few times and then sat on it like a cat would with a toy.  Any ideas what this behavior is about?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic