Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please use anemone covers on wave pumps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fishpatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishpatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please use anemone covers on wave pumps
    Posted: February 16 2017 at 8:30pm
Fellow hobbyists, thought I would share my frustrating day so that others may be educated and not have the same thing happen. One of my rather large, beautiful anemones decided it was time to find a new spot. Unfortunately the spot it settled on was the intake to one of my wave pumps. Needless to say it was chopped into thousands of pieces. I was away for several hours and by the time I discovered it the entire tank was covered. 3 confirmed dead, 4 in the QT now on life support, and many others I couldn't get out that are touch and go. The clown fish logically don't seem to have been affected but everything else was.
Apparently there are foam covers that can be purchased to cover the intakes so this can't happen😬
I learned an emotionally and financially hard lesson today and hope this prompts anyone with an anemone and a wave pump to spend a few bucks and get a foam guard. The hobby literally chewed me up and spit me out today.
90 Reef / 700 FOWLR
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 8:34pm
Those days suck.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 6:25pm
So sorry for your loss. 

See the pic below. I've posted this picture countless times since I first took it about 10 years ago. It's been a continual attempt to show hobbyists how Needlepoint Plastic Canvas can be sewn together with fishing line to make an intake strainer cage to protect algae and anemones from being sucked in. The distance of the cage from the intake effectively diffuses the suction which would pull stuff in. Plastic Canvas is just a dollar at any craft store. It's 100 times better than a sponge guard since cleaning is not needed for months.

I believe a thread about this is also in the list of Reefkeeping Tips linked in my signature line below. Smile Please read the Reefkeeping Tips to help yourself avoid all sorts of other sad situations.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S. Congratulations on becoming a paid member. Thumbs Up

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 17 2017 at 6:36pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
fishpatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishpatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 8:32pm
Thanks Mark!
90 Reef / 700 FOWLR
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic