Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Banned from Fish-4-U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
achillestang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achillestang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 9:27am
The original post by Mark brings up many more questions than it answers.  Such as;

1)  When did Mark's conversation with this purchaser of LR begin?  Was he stalking him during purchase, or did Mark just stumble upon him while he was loading his purchases in his car?  

2)  How many other times has Mark been observed by the LFS owner offering his "expertise" while he was in that particular store?  Why couldn't Mark learn anything from his previous reprimands and continued do do exactly what the LFS owner asked him not to do? 

3)  Why would Mark surmise that his reprimand, and subsequent banning, assume it has anything to do with any perceived "pinch" that resulted in other recent LFS closings?

I could go on and on.  I can easily see how any LFS owner would get upset while observing someone handing our business cards - it can easily be perceived that Mark was trying to drum up business for himself while under-cutting the LFS.

Just my random ponderings.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by achillestang achillestang wrote:

The original post by Mark brings up many more questions than it answers.  Such as;

1)  When did Mark's conversation with this purchaser of LR begin?  Was he stalking him during purchase, or did Mark just stumble upon him while he was loading his purchases in his car?  

2)  How many other times has Mark been observed by the LFS owner offering his "expertise" while he was in that particular store?  Why couldn't Mark learn anything from his previous reprimands and continued do do exactly what the LFS owner asked him not to do? 

3)  Why would Mark surmise that his reprimand, and subsequent banning, assume it has anything to do with any perceived "pinch" that resulted in other recent LFS closings?

I could go on and on.  I can easily see how any LFS owner would get upset while observing someone handing our business cards - it can easily be perceived that Mark was trying to drum up business for himself while under-cutting the LFS.

Just my random ponderings.

Instead of pondering, why don't you ask Mark? I bet you'd get your answer without pondering.

Mark recognizes his own shortcomings.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 3:19am
There is a time and a place..... selling a simmilar product/giving advice in someone elses backyard, after being ask not to CROSSED the line. I can understand that. A LFS builds a trust/relationship with the customer. The LFS spends time with the customer on how to set up a tank/equipment needed. The LFS sells the customer live rock. Some "GUY" out in the parking lot (uninvited) is trying to upsale his Livelyer (< possibly not a word) Rock/Advise (most likley not the same advise as the LFS has given, as opinions/methods vary), the customer has no trust with the uninvited "guy". Customer is irritated, complaines to LFS about the "guy". LFS is now irritated with the "guy". Has nothing to do with LFS feeling a "pinch" (that is the "guys" own Big ego with a coment like that) May be a little To aggressive... Like Eddy said all in the wording. Have you heard about the local club? Would you like to know more? Short introduction about the club. If they show up at a mtg or on the forum, now you are in your own back yard and this is your invation. Customer is not thing Mark is tacky, and trust/relationship can now beigin, learns from everyone, has a long lasting enjoyable hobby, and everyone lives happily ever after......

Anyway, I have a stack of WMAS cards on the counter, Feel welcome to hand some out when you come and visit us.Smile

Edited by sabeypets - February 24 2017 at 3:26am
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 12:20pm
I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I've known Mark for almost 11 years now. He saved my very first tank after a crash. He drove from Bountiful to Suncrest with chaeto, water and sand. Helped me setup a hang on the back refugium and helped me get everything back on track. I've forever remembered that gesture.

As for the situation, I'm not surprised by the actions of either party here.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

Anyway, I have a stack of WMAS cards on the counter, Feel welcome to hand some out when you come and visit us.Smile

We have cards we give out at each meeting and I know some Presidency have them in their wallets to hand out when you meet someone new when out and about and you want them to check out the club website. 

If the LFS thought they were being undercut for a sale I can see where they would be upset by that.  As a club we want to educate members, have a place for members to go (at events and on website and social media) to talk salt water, help each other out and yes even sell that fish that's too big for your tank or if you are selling equipment.  We aren't here to undermine stores and take business away. 

This has been a great thread, lots of constructive thoughts.  Thanks everyone for participating. 

I think Shaun said it best on how to approach someone new about the club, especially if you are in a LFS.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 6:55pm
All great comments above.

FYI, the dialogue Shaun wrote above is exactly how I have always done it since we started the WMAS in 1995 and that's how I approached this person that night. Out of respect for Kris, and his previous request, I didn't say anything in the store. I happened to be leaving at the same time as the customer. I thought that approaching the customer outside would be adequately respectful to Kris and his store. 

It was dark and we were actually on the other side of the parking lot near the customers vehicle. I guess Kris owns the entire parking lot so he had every right. I really have no animosity toward him. He has a business to run. I will kinda miss going in to Fish-4-U and the good healthy animals I have bought from them over the many years. Thankfully, Rusty's Reefs has come on the scene. I just picked up two Yellow Tangs from Rusty on Friday. He is also a great source for all kinds of snails and hermits.

Of all the LFS, Kris has always been the clubs strongest supporter. I believe that he recognized how the WMAS had made the the hobby bigger in SLC. We often brought guest speakers/experts to Fish-4-U to meet Kris and see his good store. Many years ago, he allowed us to make brief introductions to the WMAS in his store. No other LFS has ever allowed that. Please remember, as I said in the OP, Kris objects to me, not to the WMAS. This discussion has been a good lesson for me. I hope it was informative for everyone. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 26 2017 at 7:03pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic