Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY Rimless Shallow Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jaag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Rimless Shallow Tank
    Posted: March 19 2017 at 10:38pm
Sup guys?
So I am going to be building a shallow reef tank. The dimensions will be 36x24x12. I will be using starphire glass on the front and two sides, regular glass on the back and I want to put PVC on the bottom anyone have any experience with that? 
Is there any difference in putting it together? Do I still use silicone on the bottom? What is the process?
Also where would I find the PVC bottom and to be truthful I do not even really know what it is called? Is it just PVC or is it some type of PVC and glass? Any help (as you can see would be appreciated).
I have made an all glass tank before and am pretty good with my hands and tools. I am not too worried about the work and craftsmanship.
Thank you in advanced.
Johnny
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 10:00pm
The bottom has to have channels for the glass to sit into. You can't just bond the glass to the pvc like you would glass to glass. I have done several of them, all my bottoms were CNC cut on my router to accomplish the channels. You must use a special adhesive to bond the two as well, not regular silicone.
Premium aquarium filtration!
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 10:02pm
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 10:03pm
Acrylic eurobrace done the same way
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic