Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Copepod?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jaywilson709 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaywilson709 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Copepod?
    Posted: April 23 2017 at 3:27pm
I setup my first reef tank a few months ago, I added cheto algae and a start of copepods after the tank was only running a couple weeks. my cheto has been doing well but I cant see any on the copepods, I asked the local fish store where I had purchased them, and I was told I need to add them every few months and that they don't survive in a refugium.
 I was under the impression they would reproduce.
one other thing that might not be good was I put in a few hermit crabs in my refugium, will they eat the copepods? is there any hobbiest that I could get a start of copepods from or is it best to buy them.
 the last time I bought them I couldn't tell if they were alive or not.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my question. Jay
Nicole Prettyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicole Prettyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 10:07am
Copepods will reproduce but they also need food to survive.  They eat things like detrius but dosing Phytoplankton will help them keep going.  Copepods are also smaller then amphipods, so much harder to see.   But they do reproduce.  But i do suggest you refresh your stock with new every few months because they will get depleted as your fish and corals chow down on them.   I have those for sale if you are interested.   
jaywilson709 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaywilson709 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 12:01pm
I am interested, what do you want for them? and can I come get some this weekend?
Nicole Prettyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicole Prettyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 1:36pm
Its $20 for Copepod and $15 for phytoplankton.    And sure this weekend works.  We are open this saturday from 1pm till 5pm.  Prettyman Exotics  825 N 300 W Ste C138 Salt Lake City Ut 84103.   If you have facebook follow up on our facebook page.  We keep it up to date on any closures or sales etc. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic