Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuge setup for pods?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttabbal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttabbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuge setup for pods?
    Posted: May 04 2017 at 3:47pm
I would like to, eventually, get a Mandarin. I know I don't have sufficient pod populations at the moment to support them though. I see a lot about having a fuge for them to hang out in and reproduce, but what does that fuge look like? Rocks? Macroalgae? Big empty water? :) 

I'm also fine with dosing them and phyto, I would like to have it be somewhat self sustaining though. 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 3:03am
I have an HOB refugium for sale. Take a look at it here (this shows the large, I have the small): http://www.marineandreef.com/CPR_Aquatics_AquaFuge_2_Large_p/rcpr04411.htm

You can also look at getting something like this: http://www.marineandreef.com/CPR_Aquatic_In_Tank_Refugium_Pro_Small_CITRPROSM_p/rcpr03384.htm
and have it full of chaeto or rubble for the pods if you have the room in your tank.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 6:51am
The short answer is a refugium is a small planted area that is generally free of fish and has room to grow macro algae (used to reduce or export nutrients from our tanks) which in turn provides habitat for pods and other micro fauna to grow and reproduce.

This can be a separate tank a hang on the back unit like posted above or in our sumps. Keep in mind that for a refugium to be effective at exporting nutrients in large amounts, the area in most sumps is a bit undersized. While you still get reduction it is generally not enough to be the soul source of nutrient export. Our sumps also tend to be much higher flow and turn over than what a refugium needs.

As far as what goes into the fuge beyond macro algae there a a million ways to do it and almost as many ways that work. Most algae (like chalurpa) need some type of structure to root onto. Others (like Chaeto) prefer to be free floating and do best if they are tumbled to expose the most area to light.

Hope that gives you a few ideas to help get you started.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic