Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aerating water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aerating water
    Posted: May 09 2017 at 7:00am
So I bought saltwater last Thursday. I threw in pumps around 3 pm yesterday. So here's my question. 1. Is the water still good? 2. If it is, how long (Aerating) before I can use it? 3. Do I need to look out for a chemical imbalance now that I let the water sit so for long loosing O2? 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 10:36am
Yes it's still good. I sometimes let the water sit and mix for several days before I use it. As ling as it had some pumps in there to move it around and there is surface tension, you're good. (although I always check calc and alk before I use it to make sure they're where I want them.)
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 3:14am
You're fine
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 7:44am
I might as well add my 2 cents and maybe even stir the pot a little. Wink

It wouldn't hurt to pour it back and forth between buckets once or twice before pouring into the aquarium.

When I mix new saltwater in buckets, I pour it back and forth 3 or 4 times and then immediately add it to the tank. Never had a problem doing it this way. I don't worry about pouring cold saltwater into a warm aquarium because the larger body of water quickly absorbs the temperature difference and because in the wild, currents of different temperature water passing by are the norm. The animals can handle it. 

Same goes for Alk and Ca levels in the new saltwater. I never test new saltwater and here's why. 
The reason we change a small portion of water is to reap the benefit of adding correct levels of all the elements, not just Alk and Ca. Every animal likes the positive difference that a small percentage of new salt water adds to the environment. If there is an unusual variance due to a bad batch of salt, the larger body of water should easily absorb any difference. Sure, sometimes animals react to water changes but they come back within minutes or hours. If the animals cannot handle slight variations, there is probably something else not quite right with tank conditions, which unfortunately, leads to a proverbial tipping of the scale. 

SPS? Are you kidding? Most SPS grow in the surf zone where they get pounded by waves, cold and warm currents, downpours of fresh rainwater, and hours of sitting out of water in the hot sun. And don't forget tumultuous monsoons and typhoons. 

I'm wondering if we ought to be asking ourselves, "Are we babying our coral to the point that they can't handle a little change or tumult?"

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 8:39pm
The salt I use does not mix up at nsw levels specifically alkalinity which can cause a swing enough to upset maybe not kill my sps but why would I take that chance. If it is that I am being to kind to my coral well so be it. Although my dog many many moon ago was a raging killer I don't treat him as such or how he was many many moon ago.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 8:28am
Big smile  Good point. You know me, you pegged me years ago as the hippie hobbyist that lets things go the natural way. That said, I respect the way you do your tanks. 

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic