Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green bubble algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leatherneck1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leatherneck1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green bubble algae
    Posted: July 09 2017 at 10:12am
Hello all,

I have some green bubble algae that is starting to become a problem. After trying to remove some by hand (and being less successful than I hoped) I decided to buy an emerald crab to help out. He died. I am thinking of purchasing another emerald crab but wanted to ask if there was another method to control the algae. I have a 30 gal tank and cannot add large fish.
Thanks in advance!

Edited by leatherneck1833 - July 09 2017 at 10:12am
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 4:05pm
I had this issue in a smaller tank a while ago. The thing that worked best for me since I couldnt add a tang or something was to remove as much as I could by hand and added 2 emerald crabs. They went to town on the rest.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leatherneck1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 4:59pm
Thanks!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 9:24pm
Emerald Crabs. Thumbs Up

Valonia Algae bubbles can get too large for the Emerald Crabs to physically handle. When that happens, stick a pin/needle through the end of a long thin stick and pop them. The deflated bubbles can then be eaten by the Emerald Crabs.

Many people worry that popping Valonia spreads it. Truth is, it spreads all by itself anyway, so popping it is a good thing because Emeralds can then eat it.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leatherneck1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2017 at 7:16am
Thanks Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic