Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rodi suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jungleboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jungleboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rodi suggestions
    Posted: July 30 2017 at 7:34pm
I was wondering what suggestions everyone has for an rodi unit. I am living in an apartment so it needs to be compact and able to hook up to a faucet. I have a nano tank so i don’t need 1000 gpd. I was hoping for something that has standard sized filters and blocks so I don’t spend and arm and a leg in replacements. Oh and affordable is always great too! Let me know what you would recomendable Thanks!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 8:51pm
If you are truly looking for affordable, don't bother with DI resin. The benefit of RO-DI over standard RO is easily debatable and the cost is definitely high.

I have bought RO units locally on ksl.com for pennies on the dollar. In doing so, I acquire extra parts that I combine to build new RO units. I can build and sell them for less than $100 making a modest profit for my effort. Feel free to ask me how to DIY. It's really quite simple.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jungleboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jungleboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 8:57pm
Really? I had not heard that RODI didnt have that much of a benefit. Could you elaborate more. 

Back to the unit though, I have kind of been looking at this unit from spectrapure...dont know if it will suit my needs though.
http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System

Thanks
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 9:33am
There are very good reasons for using purified water from a Reverse Osmosis unit. My point is that the additional cost and hassle for using DI (De-ionizing resin) is not worth it. Save yourself money and look for the standard RO without the DI. 

You may ask, "why are there so many RODI units being recommended and sold?" Money, profit, and the ability to fool the uninformed hobbyist into thinking that is what a reef tank must have. Our reefs need minerals, in fact we add lots of minerals in the salt mix and the food. Proper biological filtration and coral growth use and break down those minerals and elements into stuff the tank can use. 

FYI, some hobbyists with really beautiful tanks use tap water with all it's minerals. I personally don't recommend it because of the risk of contaminating the water with some accidental impurity released into the city water lines during treatment and during water line breaks/repairs.

Again, I suggest finding an RO unit locally here or on ksl.com. Between the two, an economical unit comes up for sale almost weekly, often for as little as $50. 

The only parts that wear out on a used RO unit are the replaceable filters and membrane. We can judge the life of the filters by viewing them and by asking the seller how long they have been used for how much total water. The RO membrane is the main part of the unit. It typically lasts for 5 years or 5000 gals.

Also, a $15 hand held TDS (total dissolved solids) tester can quickly and easily determine how good the unit is purifying the water.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions. I'm always available to help a fellow hobbyist, even via text or phone call to 808-345-1049

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
speyside712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 9:50am
I can vouch for mark's suggestion that RO/DI isn't a whole lot better than plain RO.  I have tested a number of filtering methods with my hand held TDS meter.  Here are the results I saw.  All of the tests below started with the same tap water.

Direct out of the tap (Centerville City Water) 310 PPM
Basic refrigerator drinking water filter 210 PPM
Brita drinking water filter 115 PPM
Basic RO system including the below 4     PPM
10 micron sediment filter
Carbon Block
Standard RO filter
RO/DI system including the below   1     PPM
10 micron sediment filter
carbon Block
Standard RO filter
Two DI canisters with new resin

So as you can see, the difference between my basic RO system and the RO/DI system is pretty negligible.  The main reason for getting everything out of our water is to prevent algae growth, as many cities have a number of things that work like fertilizer and plant food in the water.  But there are other things that are good to remove too (fluoride, chlorine, chlroramines, trace amounts of led, etc.) as none of these are good for coral growth.  At 4 PPM though, none of these things are going to be a problem.

So if you really want to go over the top to have perfect water get the RO/DI filter, but I would say there is a 99% chance you won't notice any difference in the quality and health of your reef if you are using an RO only unit.

Edited by speyside712 - July 31 2017 at 9:54am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 9:57am
Awesome elaboration speyside712. Thumbs Up

In a few weeks I will have a RO unit ready. It will have an auto shut-off valve too. How about $85 and if an expansion tank is wanted, that's another $30. I recommend the expansion tank since it makes about 3 gallons of pure water available any time, for drinking or for the reef tank.

RO water tastes delicious. Beer

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 10:00am
Oh and if you have washing machine hook up in your apartment, it's nice and easy to hook up the RO unit at the water tap with a Y connector. I have extra Y connectors. I'll let one go for $4.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic