Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts On Flatworms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts On Flatworms
    Posted: December 11 2017 at 9:36pm
I've been thinking about this recently.  Just looking for discussion.

What about flatworms?
I got some flatworms recently with some macro algae and now have them in one of my new project tanks.  Should I treat the tank?  Should I not worry?  Wait until they are a plague before making a move?

It's an interesting topic for me.  In my home display aquarium I've never had flatworms.  The thought of having them in my display is silly.  My tank has 9 wrasse in it.  There seems to be no possibility of flatworms in there, and I haven't really thought about them in years until now.  

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 11:20pm
If you treat it, be sure you have new carbon ready and do a water change right after! I’m speaking from experience, killed 2 tanks.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 9:04am
I prefer to treat it before it becomes an issue. In a new tank that generally makes it easier as there is less likely hood that you will lose much beyond bacteria in the treatment.

I prefer natural remedies but even wrasse are hit and miss on flatworms and getting a wrasse back out of a tank if he becomes a problem is a pain.

While Red planaria are common and not super hard to get rid of they can become a plaque pretty quickly if there is adequate food. Other types can be a serious pain and even severely destructive.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic