Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is world's deadliest poison lurking in your tank
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is world's deadliest poison lurking in your tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LearningNemo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearningNemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is world's deadliest poison lurking in your tank
    Posted: April 05 2018 at 5:27pm
Please read and share - Shocked

Edited by LearningNemo - April 05 2018 at 5:27pm
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 8:16am
Very unfortunate for the family, I never knew it could become air born.

Edited by Reefboy4life - April 06 2018 at 8:18am
90 gallon mixed reef
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 10:54am
It is good to stay informed on the subject but this article says it was from his pulsing xenia. I have never heard of that coral having palytoxin. I think that he had a different paly or zoa that he agitated to cause this.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 11:00am
The real problem is with actual Palythoa and zoanthid. Jullian Sprung has a talk on youtube about this. They have found higher levels of palytoxin in Palythoa which typically have rough stalks, brown or green color, and they get super slimy when you touch them. He talked about how he and his tank were poisoned by the mucus of a palythoa. I don't keep they palythoa cause 1) I think they are ugly and 2) they have been know to have higher levels of the toxin. 
But you should exercise caution with zoanthids too. Use gloves and eye protection when fragging. Dont use a band saw to cut them. NEVER Boil, Pressure wash, Or try scrubbing them off. Most of the worst cases that I have seen online are because the person did one of those last 3 things. 
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 2:22pm
xenia doesn't do this. this guy is clearly uneducated on what he's putting in his tank.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 2:32pm
That's what I thought. I wonder how many of the poisonings happen from palythoas vs Zoanthids. The terminology in our hobby does not always represent the distinction correctly. Lots of Zoas are called palys just because they have a slightly larger polyp. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic