Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank not leveled, leaking water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank not leveled, leaking water
    Posted: May 02 2018 at 2:52pm
My Red Sea Max S650 (150gal) was not set up perfectly level but it has been fine since I got it 3 years ago, and I was assured it wouldn’t be a problem according the the LFS I bought it from and who set it up. However this week it seems to be tilting more, so that even though the water height is set correctly, water is covering the entire glass lip along the front of the tank and dripping down the outside glass. I’m at a loss of what to do. This thing took 4 guys to carry it into the house when it was new and completely empty. The only solution I can see is to somehow transfer everything...water, rocks, coral, fish...to another tank, adjust the level, then refill. That sounds absolutely awful, as well as risky to all the tank inhabitants. Thoughts??
150gal/25gal sump Red Sea Max S650, started 3/28/15
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 3:06pm
Most tanks can be leveled without draining them completely.

I would be more worried about why it hasn't been a problem for 3 years and now it is. Something isn't right and with that much weight in the mix I would look into it.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 3:18pm
What else would you be checking? I was really worried because it is on a wood floor but I put the level on it and it is ok.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 3:23pm
If the floor is level and the tank isn't then the stand is the problem and I would be looking for areas where the stand has gotten wet and the material is swelling or breaking down allowing the tank to tilt.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 3:45pm
There's no areas that are obviously wet that I can see.  I know the base has gotten wet with water changes etc but I try to dry everything off as much as I can afterwards. How to further investigate? That's where I can't think of anything but emptying the tank and removing it from the stand.  How to even go about that???
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 4:44pm
There are so many bad stories on R2R in regard to tanks not being level and panels giving out 1,2,5,7 years down the road....  I'm surprised a LFS told you this.  
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 10:00pm
Well, in discussing this with more people, I was advised to clean my outflows, which I did as well as my surface skimmer and it made all the difference, and my water levels dropped. Of course it turns out to be something simple. But I still plan on getting some assistance in getting this thing checked out and leveled ASAP. Yeah, in hindsight, I wish I was more savvy when I got the tank set up but as a newbie I was clueless. I would have done a lot differently.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 11:53am
I was just going to say, it's an overflow drain back-up.

Glad you got it taken care of.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic