Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Copepod culture *video update*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Copepod culture *video update*
    Posted: April 10 2019 at 1:44pm
Hello everyone! David here. The live food culture I mentioned in my intoduction post is making a lot of progress!

I have a cheap digital microscope that I've used to take photos and videos to document the first culture tank's development.

First off, can anyone help me identify this cute shrimpy denizen hiding in my live rock?

Next, copepods swarming in detritus:

Amphipod on macroalgae stem:

Female copepod with eggs:

Edited by Ephyris - April 10 2019 at 2:28pm
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 2:10pm
"Pods frolicking in detritus" would be an awesome band name.
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by sleepingdeep sleepingdeep wrote:

"Pods frolicking in detritus" would be an awesome band name.

Pity I just deleted and re-uploaded the video and changed the name before I saw your comment. I had to remove the annoying whirring sounds in the background.
Wade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 3:35am
You know you're officially a geek when you watch a video of copepods swimming in detritus multiple times in one sitting!

Is your "shrimpy denizen" just a highly magnified amphipod (also called a fairy shrimp)?

Edited by Wade - April 11 2019 at 3:38am
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Wade Wade wrote:

You know you're officially a geek when you watch a video of copepods swimming in detritus multiple times in one sitting!

Is your "shrimpy denizen" just a highly magnified amphipod (also called a fairy shrimp)?

Quite possibly. I didn't know there were SW fairy shrimp.

I know fairy shrimp as freshwater vernal pool dwelling critters that hatch from resting eggs.

It seems to be a different variety of amphipod than the others in my culture. Granted, the only fast and easy way to tell apart small specimens of amphipod and copepod is whether or not they have legs. Legs=amphi else=cope. Or at least that's how I understand it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic