Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - February 2020 Meeting-MACNA Speaker Scott Fellman
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

February 2020 Meeting-MACNA Speaker Scott Fellman - Event Date: February 06 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: February 2020 Meeting-MACNA Speaker Scott Fellman
    Posted: December 04 2019 at 9:30am
"Blurring the lines between Nature and the aquarium: Inspiration from reef and freshwater habitats."
MACNA Speaker Scott Fellman

Brought to you by: WMAS
2/6 at 7pm
Rose Garden Building 
Sugar House Park
1601 East 2100 South
Salt Lake City, UT

Join us Thursday February 6th at the Rose Garden Building in Sugar House Park as guest speaker Scott Fellman, will be discussing Marine and Freshwater Macro algae. How they benefit our systems and what they require to thrive in our systems.  Scott has visited the club before for both club meetings and Mountain West Reef Fest, he is highly requested and a great speaker. While his latest employment opportunity has taken him into the freshwater world, His background has been in Marine systems and animal and plant life. He has a world of knowledge and is ready to talk Algae!

The reef hobby has evolved rapidly in a few decades. Sophisticated technology has enabled experimentation never before possible. Yet, it’s irresistible to return once again to the idea of letting Nature do some of the work. 

In recent years, I transformed from a commercial-scale coral propagator to a practitioner of , and business owner proffering an evolving style of freshwater aquariums. The lessons I’ve learned and the mental shifts I’ve made by straddling both sides of the “salinity line” for decades have given me inspiration to encourage the reef hobby to reconsider all sorts of ideas. 

Stuff like embracing greater biodiversity, understanding the many unique ecological niches that our fishes and corals come from, savoring unique aesthetics, and pushing out to the “cutting edge” of what’s possible in the aquarium hobby.

We have the technology. We have the inspiration. It’s time to break from the “tried and true” and once again push the boundaries out from what is common and what is possible. It starts by leaving preconceptions at the door, and looking at Nature in a different way.

Scott's Bio:
I'm the consummate "fish nerd"! I bleed saltwater! And yes, I think there's a lot of freshwater in there, too!

Much of my life centers around tweaking my protein skimmer, scraping  algae, cleaning up spills, or figuring out how to unglue my fingers.  I've been keeping marine aquariums since I was a kid, and during that  time, I have maintained all sorts of aquariums, fish bowls, plastic  boxes, and just about anything that can hold water. My passions are  aquascaping and marine biotope aquariums. I love this hobby and the  crazy people in it!

I've mentored fellow hobbyists since 2002 on Bob Fenner's WetWebMedia.com site, and I was Co-Editor of WWM's Conscientious  Aquarist online magazine for a couple of years. I served as president  the Marine Aquarium Society of Los Angeles County, in 2006. I've written  a number of articles for Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine,  Ultramarine UK, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Marine Fish and Reef USA Annual,  "C" Journal, and other online venues, such as Reef Addicts and Reefs.com.  I write a weekly blog on the Reef Builders web site, where I  blog on a variety of reef-related topics.

In addition to my writing, I have racked up the frequent-flyer miles, travelling all over the U.S. and internationally, speaking at clubs and  events about all sorts of reef-and freshwater aquarium-related stuff.  I presented at MACNA XIX in Pittsburgh, IMAC 2008 in Chicago, MACNA XX in  Atlanta, and MACNA XI in Atlantic City, MACNA XXII in Orlando, MACNA  XXII in Des Moines, MACNA XXIII in Dallas, as well as IMAC West in Long  Beach, and Reef-a-Palooza!  I'm really trying to complete a book on  marine biotope aquaria and aquascaping before this century is over, and  I'm sure my aquarium is due for a water change at some point!

I am partner in a Los Angeles-based online marine livestock retailer,  Unique Corals, marketing sustainably collected, aquacultured, and captive propagated corals, fishes, and invertebrate.

When I'm not trying to replicate the ocean in my aquariums, I'm usually  surfing in it at my local beach, dining at new restaurants (another great love), watching ice hockey, or SCUBA diving.

As always we will have, food, raffle items and more at the event.

You won't want to miss this meeting!

Edited by Krazie4Acans - January 31 2020 at 9:46am
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
theresawhite View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theresawhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 12:20am
This is happening tonight at 7:00pm.  Hope you can join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic